Is there a way to prevent users from adding new projects?

Ilze Schoeman January 8, 2019

We have 4 main projects in Jira to suit our business needs. Each of our 'projects' are actually reflected as 'Epics' in Jira. We want to prevent normal users from going back to our old ways of working and creating a new JIRA 'project' for every product we have. Is there a way to do this?

We want the users to be able to create issues within a project, but to not allow them to create new projects. 

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

Only JIRA administrators can create projects on the server version.

Apologies - I must be on the cloud version then. I got confused as it looks very different from in my previous company! Everyone can create projects and we want to limit this! Do you know how?

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2019

Hello,

I think you would need a plugin for it.

For example, you could use the Power Scripts add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/43318/power-scripts-jira-script-automation?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

You could write a validator like this:

if (issueType == "Epic" and currentUser() =="user1"){

return true;

}

return false;

Hi - I'm not sure how this add-on would help me with this? Please can you let me know some more details. 

I am looking to remove this 'Create Project' button for certain users (please see image) 

create project button.png

Suggest an answer