Is it safe to change the ID's of priorties in the database?

Brent Mills
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 28, 2012

We modified the values for our priorities, which assigned them new ID's in the database. We depend on a third party integration that uses the default ID's for connection. My new ID's are 6,7,8,9,10. Does anyone know if there will be consequences in changing them back to 1,2,3,4,5 with a sql update script to the priority table?

thanks, brent

3 answers

1 vote
Brent Mills
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 29, 2012

Here is a detail what happened. I have an integration with Utest which depends on the default priority ID's. When we modified our priority values we did not rename them, but created new ones and deleted the old ones. This appended new ids, so instead of 1,2,3,4, I now had 6,7,8,9, which utest did not like.

in order to get the 114 issues from their system to ours I updated our ids to match what they expected in the priority table. As we had several issues that had the old id's i next updated the jiraissue table with the new ids. So far so good.

thanks, Brent

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2012

Mark the answer as correct. That way you can help the other users.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2012

You could always give it a try (if you dare). I have made a lot of changes in the database, always in a time that no one is using the jira, nothing bad happened yet. Obviuosly atlassian doesn't take responsibility if something wrong happens. I think, not totally sure! but if you reindex after doing the modification. And if something goes wrong you can change the ids again and reindex, again.

A very important thing is to do a backup, so you can restore if something goes too bad.

Remember that if you do this, it should be in an time that no one uses the Jira. Good luck if you decide to do that, and post here your solution. This is pretty interesting :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2012

It's not just "when no one is using it" - you really should take Jira down while runing database changes. It caches some things in memory which it will happily write back to the database and wipe out your changes. So don't run SQL while Jira is running.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

No, AFAIK you will mess the DB if you would do only that.

You will have to change it on existing issues too and on default values (at least, if I remember well).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events