Is it possible to filter jql results by Month?

Right now, I have a JQL query like this:

project = "Customer Experience" AND status was Reviewing after "2013/01/01" AND status was Reviewing before "2013/02/01"

Instead of using "before" and "after", is it possible to just specify a given month, maybe by name(ie. January), instead of these date ranges?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

JQL allows you to use a data like 2013/01/01

or

the format 30d (30 days)

What you are looking for is not possible in JQL.

Not the answer I was looking for, but kind of figured this was going to be the case. Thanks for confirming.

13 votes
Hoang Dong Atlassian Team Jun 07, 2016

There is one way you can filter as the last month or the last two month etc...

Ex:

the last month: created > startOfMonth(0) ORDER BY created DESC ,

last 2 month: created > startOfMonth(-1) ORDER BY created DESC.

Similar for startOfDay(), startOfWeek() and startOfYear()

These are excellent. Thanks!

I'm going to get a rep for being the cranky old man on the block, but it seems absurd that we can't simply specify a month and year as search critera.  All issues created in September 2015.  Bam!  

This is a serious issue for me, as I just found that my monthly reports have been omitting issues created on the last day of the month when using JQL like this:

created >= 2015-09-01 AND created <= 2015-09-30

If you create a Basic search between two dates and then convert it to JQL you get that format.

This is a serious bug.

Not sure if this is still relevant to you, but if you use "2015-09-30 23:59" instead of just the date, this will return all issues created right up until 11:59pm (in whichever Time Zone your JIRA is set to) on that date.

Unless an issue is created during that final minute, you should catch everything. Not ideal, as it does leave room for error with that final unaccountable minute, but should be enough of a workaround.

NB: you'll need to use the speech marks around the date and time

Its pretty ridiculous.  Adding an end date should include the entire day by definition.   But thank you!

Yeah it's pretty mental, I think it's something to do with the fact that JIRA assumes the day to end at midday or something. 

That would make more sense.  Nope.  Its exactly midnight at the start of the end date, effectively removing the end date from the query entirely.

You can achieve this by searching for all dates greater than 1st Sept and less than 1st October.

This is the correct answer from @David McLean, even with the <= implying something else.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,653 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you