• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Is it possible to display the total estimate of numerous sub-tasks as the estimate for the parent on the Sprint board? Also, is there a way to enable the displaying of the sub-tasks estimates in the detail panel?

Is it possible to display the total estimate of numerous sub-tasks as the estimate for the parent on the Sprint board? Also, is there a way to enable the displaying of the sub-tasks estimates in the detail panel?

I would like to be able to use the sum of the sub-task estimates as the estimate for the parent. I can't seem to figure out how to have JIRA do this automatically. Also, I need the estimates for each individual sub-task to be displayed and the remaining hours for each to display also without having to click into the sub-task. Is that possible?

1 answer

0 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Oct 10, 2013

General answer is no. There is no way to do it as the Agile team does not believe it summing (is that even a word..) subtasks estimates.

Having said that, you can create your own listeners or scripts to update the parent tasks estimate field yourself.

Thanks Tim. We'll figure something out as far as the total of the sub-tasks. Is there a way to display the estimates for the sub-tasks in the detail panel?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

32 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you