Is it a good idea to integrate product management and development tasks in one Jira project?

David Richard August 2, 2021

I am considering streamlining all product-related pipelines, from discovery to delivery, into one Jira Project. My idea is to use boards to have issues and tasks flowing forward and being separated and following the workflow of each teams. Is that a good idea, or am I URL trying to fit two processes that are too far apart into the same framework?

3 answers

1 vote
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

@David Richard,

Yes, it should be ok  In a project we have different issues types one for dev work (stories, tasks) and another issue type for (ideas). They would have separate workflows and live in different boards one for scrum  and another kanban in the same project.

Once the idea is approved, you would create the stories for them and link them to the original idea.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

0 votes
Ladlamuzamil August 7, 2021

It depends. Who's going to look at your boards, and why? You should use Jira to meet your business needs and processes, not the other way around. So ask yourself and others:

1. Do we need to track both?
  2. Is there anyone who cares about dev tasks but not management tasks?
  3. Is there anyone who cares about management tasks but not dev tasks?
  4. Is there anyone who cares about both?

And then proceed accordingly.

For what it's worth, what I did was I made my workflow scheme contain two workflows, one for stories/tasks/bugs and one for epics, with mutually exclusive statuses. Then I set up two separate boards, one for each.

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2021

Hi @David Richard  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, it can be a good idea.  When all participants support using one tool to manage the value stream (concept to cash), putting that in one Jira project can help to:

• improve visibility
  • improve flow
  • reduce WIP
  • solve problems when and where they occur
  • better understand how long it actually takes to deliver value
  • remind people to measure actual versus expected return value
  • etc.

Two things which can impede more teams from doing this are misunderstanding scale and misunderstanding what Jira can/cannot do.

When there are lots of people and teams in the value stream, configuring Jira to handle that scale in one project may lead to splitting up to multiple projects.  This may or may not be necessary, and you would need to discuss with people on teams to learn what they need/want to guide how to support those things in Jira.  Consider having your Jira Admin(s) as part of the conversation to offer ideas to help.

Best regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer