Is an agent a active user, even without rights to the product?

Niklas Leerhoff May 2, 2022

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if you can even help me with this, but I didn't know how to contact the support correctly. We are a small team of 5 and want to mainly use the "Jira Service" product. Additionally, we want to use the "Service Management", so that our coworkers can send email request. We just want to forward it into Service, which is already working as supposed.

Therefore, our problem is the agent restriction for the free product in the Service Management. Is an agent a site user, or not? I was just wondering if I could revoke their access to the Service Management product, is it enough to stay with the free license?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

Hi @Niklas Leerhoff ,

A licensed user is someone with access to a product.

If they just have an account on your site but no product access, they don't count towards your pool of users. 

This said, they do require a license to interact with the JSM project and be able to use the JSM specific features (queues/sla/be assignee/...)

So an Agent is only a user (not a customer) with a JSM license/JSM product access. If they only have a Jira Software license they will be able to interact with JSW projects and limited collaborator access to a JSM project but they will not count towards your licenses for agents

Thanks for your quick response!

We currently just use the JSM as a compiler. If there is an incoming mail, it just forwards everything to the Jira Service. So technically, only I and maybe a second user actually need access to Jira Service. Would this work?

Just to make sure, I deny 2 out of 5 users access to the service management site via the administration tool, and then they don't count as a licensed user? This would enable the free license again for us?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

If under product access you revoke them from Jira Service Management that would indeed work. 

Also make sure you remove them from any groups that might have the product access by default and be sure to disabled the flag of "add new users to this product by default"

If so they won't count as a licensed user for that product.

Thank you so much! This helped me alot.

I`m trying to find the flag you mentioned right now. Where exactly is it located? No luck in finding it right now.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

Hi @Niklas Leerhoff ,

Under "Product Access" you should see these checkboxes/flags.

image.png

I don`t see those boxes unfortunately. This is my view when I enter the product tab.

Am I searching at the wrong location? Sorry for taking so much of your time.

screenshot.png

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

I think you are indeed under products and not product access.

if you go to https://admin.atlassian.com you should see "Products" on top and then "Product Access" on the left side.

image.png

I found it, but this option is somehow not accesable for me. It only shows that on for half a second and then it vanishes again.

But I did find this setting, which after my understanding is the same option. It basically says, that a new user can`t ask for access on the JSM, so I think im all set now. Thank you for your time and have a good day!

screenshot2.png

Suggest an answer