Integrating Jira Service desk with Slack for approver

Sunny Nepal September 25, 2019

Hi,

We are looking for a way to integrate our Jira service desk projects with Slack for the approval process. The idea is to have an approver in Slack to approve a request in Jira. 

We have a channel in Slack with all the managers if a requester is making a request in Slack and needs approval from the manager, it should redirect the message/webhook to Slack (with the ticket requester/Message header), once approved in Slack, it should update the Jira ticket as well. 

Can I use any custom (third party) app in Jira to get this to work ? or Use any kind of webhooks to make this integration to work? 

4 answers

5 votes
Trevor Thompson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 26, 2019

Hey @Sunny Nepal ,

Unfortunately right now, from Atlassian, there is no way to do this.

However we're currently working on a Jira Service Desk + Slack integration that sounds like it has some features you might be interested in. Would you be interested in being a part of our Early Access Program for this? I'd be happy to add you to the list and have your feedback be a part of how we build it :) 

Thanks!
Trevor Thompson
Product Manager, Product Integrations

Sunny Nepal October 1, 2019

Yes, please !! That would be awesome !!

Like # people like this
Charles Perrot-Minot June 8, 2020

HI! Any news here?

Cody Goodermote July 23, 2020

@Trevor Thompson can I get early access to this as well?

Like Charles Perrot-Minot likes this
Ruchika Dias August 8, 2020

I'm interested too.

pierre.azalbert September 15, 2020

is it possible to get early access to this?

Fernando Banta September 24, 2020

I would like to have access to this feature as well. Please let me know how we can get involved.

Luanna Gobbato September 23, 2021

I'm Interest too. 
Please put me on the list

Michael from Stax October 18, 2021

Add me too - Also incredibly interested in this development as most of my day is chasing approvers

0 votes
Richard Herrada November 2, 2022

Putting @Jordi Garcia 's answer as it's own thread so it can be upvoted and so this question can be marked as solved.

This is now available through the Jira Assist slack integration. More information at https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/manage-chat-settings/#Disable-request-approvals

Personally I was able to use this and am seeing it work correctly. Here is how it seems to be working:

Trigger: someone submitted a request that requires an approval.

Action: this will send a slack notification to the person who needs to approve the request and will give them the ability to approve/decline and comment to that a request via slack.

0 votes
Adam Dancaster July 13, 2022

Is there an update on this? I'm hoping these features are in production! 

0 votes
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2020

@Sunny Nepal not sure if you found a way to meet this requirement? You can do it using Jira automation and a webhook now, I've set it up for a company I work with

Todd Libet February 22, 2021

@Stuart Capel - London can you give some more info on how you did this? Just making sure we are talking about the same thing:

Current Status:

1. A JSD issue comes in
  2. Issue transitions to a status that requires approval
  3. approver is added
  4. Approver receives email asking for approval
  5. Email takes approver to JSD
  6. Approver can approve/deny

Proposed:

1. A JSD issues comes in
  3. Approver is added
  4. Approver receives Slack message with issue details
  5. Approver can approve/deny in the Slack message

Any help is appreciated!

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2021

Hi @Todd Libet 

My implementation was actually a link to the ticket in a slack message sent via a webhook when a certain request type was raised.

I'm pretty sure you can put an approve button in the slack message but I never got round to it. 

Ivan Toropitsin August 30, 2021

I've checked API about a 3 month ago and there was no calls which might approve / deny request. So for me it's also only the link to the ticket. 

As a potential workaround it might be a call which will change the status to the specific one (in progress / deny for example). 

Yong September 6, 2022

Proposed:

1. A JSD issues comes in
  3. Approver is added
  4. Approver receives Slack message with issue details
  5. Approver can approve/deny in the Slack message

This is so cool and I'm finding this solution now.

Like Stefan de Oliveira likes this
Jordi Garcia October 7, 2022

This is now available through the Jira Assist slack integration. More information at https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/manage-chat-settings/#Disable-request-approvals

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2022

Nice! Thanks 

Suggest an answer