Integrated Roadmaps and Dependencies

JS July 26, 2024

Hi -

As an overview, I am standardizing some reports for a group that has 12 Product Lines. Each Product Line has 10-15 teams under it, each working on a scrum framework.  The Product Lines use Milestones and MVIs as issues types.  The teams use Epics and Stories.  Each Product Line has it's own Jira project. The teams within the Product Line share a Jira project. They are linked using the parent link.  

I am trying to build an integrated Roadmap showing the MVIs for all the product lines as well as a dependency report that spans all 12 product lines.  The dependency reporting in Jira Roadmap/Plans view is not feasible as it's pretty cumbersome. I need something executive level.  

I have both Tableau and PowerBi as options.  I'm not skilled in either.  

Any thoughts?  It's a lot of data (about 100 teams working on two week sprints). The teams have what they need but my ability to pull clean, high level reports for across the organization is the struggle.

J

3 answers

0 votes
ramyaallena August 13, 2024

Hi @JS ,

Have you got this report done? have you found a way to accommodate this requirement through any of the connectors/plugins?

thanks,

0 votes
Rino Jose _Forthix_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 28, 2024
Hi, @JS  --
I used to build these types of reports for LinkedIn Engineering, so I wanted to share some considerations that I found helpful:
  • You may have to deal with data inconsistency across teams before you can start building the report. Even though teams use the same issue types, they may use them in different ways. Teams may also indicate dependencies differently.
  • Since you have a lot of data and a lot of teams, it's a good idea to focus on a very narrow subset of your final report and see if you can create that manually.
    • This can clarify what you want and helps figure out what's feasible
    • Even a limited report is enough to get feedback from stakeholders without investing a lot of time up front
    • This also captures how data flows from Jira into the final report, which can be useful when building out the full report
  • You'll probably need to write some code
    • Even if you end up using PowerBI or Tableau, what you describe sounds like it will need a data conditioning step
    • Also talk to a PowerBI/Tableau expert in your company. They can look at your prototype report and data flow and help you structure the data for PowerBI/Tableau
    •  If PowerBI/Tableau can't meet your needs, you'll have to create a custom report/app (this was how I spent most of my time at LinkedIn)

Once you do have a prototype report and execs start using it, other teams will want to be part of it, too--this helps improve data and process consistency and gets everyone used to reporting information in the same way.
Good luck!
0 votes
Carla Ann Rowland
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2024

1st q: when you say high level reports is the scope just for current sprints for the 12 product lines?

2nd q: have you tried building roadmap plan based on sprint boards only yet?

There are maximum number of tickets in advance roadmaps.

I am just learning PowerBI tool in Jira and I have Tableau in previous worklife outside of Jira.

If you go thru Tableau you will have to "export" your  data and create the report/visualization in a Tableau interface, here is link: https://aserve.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/TABLEAU/pages/703103225/User+Guide and the reporting

PowerBI module I am just started learning and it is installed in JIRA Data center. It also has you export the data into the installed interface. It also starts with a filter. This reports on the filters do not auto refresh. Here is documentation link: https://aserve.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/POWERBI/pages/2952658977/Jira+Issue+Filters

Skimming the PowerBi I think that is stronger tool. I has more downloads. Tableau is too new at this time (has less than 1000 downloads) and the add-on is not from Salesforce.

JS July 27, 2024

By high level, I mean Executive Level.  Our Product Lines use MVIs to plan out their roadmaps and we use Jira Roadmaps but I need a report that shows both Roadmaps and dependencies across the 12 Product Lines.  Our MVIs are sized to complete in 2-6 months (although they are not time boxed).  They break down into Epics which break down into Stories (which fit into the Sprints).  We work on sort of a Lean Agile framework.  Our Executives want to see, at a very high level, what is being planned across the 12 Product Lines for the next 1 year and where we have key dependencies.  This is large amount of data.

I'll look into your links - thank you!

Suggest an answer