Incidents not showing up to the backlog?

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2016

Okay so a bit of backstory here.

We work with 5 scrumteams for development and a team of application managers for operational support. For development the scrumteams work together in one project, with 5 seperate boards. The development tickets get distributed based on a filter based on a custom field "resolving team". There are three steps in the workflow before "to do" in which it appears on a kanban board where the product owners can review the ticket before putting it on the backlog, or putting it to a low priority zone, a more info needed zone or cancel it with the option "won't do".

We also have a project "Incidents" where incidents can be reported. We also have the field "resolving team" here that distributes it to the PO kanban board if one of the scrum teams is selected. Now it appears on the kanban board but when transitioned to the next status it SHOULD appear on the backlog but it doesn't. It does however show up in my filter research that the board is based on. Why doesn't it appear on the backlog?

Here's my filter:

project = Development AND "Resolving Team" = Core AND status != "in review by PO" AND status != "More information needed" AND status != "Low priority" OR project = Incidents AND "Resolving Team" = Core AND status != Open OR project = Incidents AND reporter in Membersof(COMPANY-Scrum) AND "Resolving Team" = Core ORDER BY rank ASC

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2016

Hi Bart,

I'm sorry; I overlooked that part of the question. Here's a few things you might check so you might find the root cause by elimination ...

An issue will only be visible in the Backlog if:

• the issue is not a Sub-Task,
  • the issue matches the board's Saved Filter
  • the issue's status maps to one of the board's columns (but not the 'Done' column), and
  • there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column. Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progressand Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog.

I hope these pointers get you closer to an explanation ...

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2016

there is at least a status being mapped to the right most column. Eg. If you have the columns To Do, In Progressand Done, ensure that you have a status mapped to In Progress at least. If you map all the statuses to the first column (To Do), you will not be able to see any issues in the Backlog.

Got it, thanks!

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2016

thumbs-up

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2016

Hi Bart,

Difficult to predict whether this will solve your issue, but 2 things I would recommend:

first of all, update your filter so it becomes at least a little easier to read (and execute). If I understand well what you are trying to do, it could be something like:

((Project = Development And Status Not In ("in review by PO", "More information needed". "Low priority") OR (Project  = Incidents And Status != Open And reporter in Membersof(COMPANY-Scrum))) And "Resolving Team" = Core ORDER BY Rank ASC

Second, have a look at the configuration of your board and specifically at the specification of the columns. As you are treating issues from different projects, it would not be too strange if the incidents have a different workflow under the hood. It is possible that some statuses of your incidents project are not mapped to a column of your Kanban board.

If this is the problem and to fix this, just drag the missing status to the desired column of the board. You might of course need to give the overall naming of your columns some thought in order to reach a relevant and meaningful overview when treating mixed projects in one single view.

Hope this helps.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2016
  • first of all, update your filter so it becomes at least a little easier to read (and execute). If I understand well what you are trying to do, it could be something like:

((Project = Development And Status Not In ("in review by PO", "More information needed". "Low priority") OR (Project  = Incidents And Status != Open And reporter in Membersof(COMPANY-Scrum))) And "Resolving Team" = Core ORDER BY Rank ASC

Thanks for this

• Second, have a look at the configuration of your board and specifically at the specification of the columns. As you are treating issues from different projects, it would not be too strange if the incidents have a different workflow under the hood. It is possible that some statuses of your incidents project are not mapped to a column of your Kanban board.

But the problem is that the incidents aren't showing up on the Scrumboard. They do show up on the Kanban board.

Suggest an answer