Import Word doc to Jira ussie

Roman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 23, 2016

I'm analyst and I've always written my requirements docs and tasks for developers using MS Word. I use hierarchical numerical headers to show requirements hierarchy (for example, hierarchy of controls in form)

Project Manager wants tasks to be kept as JIRA issues. 

Is there any way to import them so JIRA could understand multi-level numerical headers and translate it to its own headers.?

2 answers

0 votes
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

Roman,

instead of pasting the everything in the description if you use the csv importer you can automatically create the hierarchical structure you need. See more information here https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/importing-data-from-csv-185729516.html section Creating sub-tasks

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2016

You can copy the whole body of the document into a description field (or other text field) in JIRA.  As long as the field is set to "rich text", it will keep the basics of your formatting (bold, italic, tables and so-on)

But that's about it, your headers and numbers are superflous in an issue tracker, so it won't do a lot with them.  A word document is just a block of formatted text, it tells you nothing about real structure.

Suggest an answer