If we use Google to login to Jira, and we have 2 step authentication setup on Google are we covered?

Sandy Vallee March 1, 2018

Hi my team wants to know if we have 2 factor Authentication setup on our Google accounts and we only use our Google accounts to login to Jira then do we essentially have 2 factor authentication for Jira? Or do we also need to enable 2F on jira as well?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/secure-your-account-with-two-step-verification-939505063.html

2 answers

1 vote
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2018

Assuming that you are using G Suite account, you are covered by using the Google 2FA mechanism. It would be redundant to also turn it on in Jira as well. Of course, you have to trust Google's authentication to be safe (I do, but there are those who don't)

0 votes
Deleted user November 5, 2019

I  stumbled upon the same issue. Atlassian won't show option for 2FA if you use Google sign-in. Alternatively, you can reset password for your google account.

First, try signing-up with your google email.

You will get an email from where you can reset password(slightly incorrect term let's say that for convenience) This creates a password associated with your existing account.

Afterward, you will be able to have 2FA enabled for Atlassian account.

Suggest an answer