• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • I upgraded Jira from 4.1.1 to 4.4.1 (in test) and want to re-upgrade the database. Is there a setting somewhere that tells jira to rerun the db upgrade? It doesn't appear to do it automatically if it encounters an older db schema.

I upgraded Jira from 4.1.1 to 4.4.1 (in test) and want to re-upgrade the database. Is there a setting somewhere that tells jira to rerun the db upgrade? It doesn't appear to do it automatically if it encounters an older db schema.

Nancy Belser October 10, 2011

see question

2 answers

0 votes
IT KnowledgeSystemsManagement October 10, 2011

I have done this before with confluence. Should be simlear for JIRA

• Restore your old non-upgraded schema
  • Revert the confluence.cfg.xml to the pre-upgrade state (Best to make a backup copy before even upgrading)
  • Clear your $CONFLUENCE_DATA/index/ directory
  • Start confluence.

Thanks, Christopher.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2011

It looks for a property called BUILD_NUMBER or something similar in the Property tables. However if the database is old, then the buildNumber will be old, and it will upgrade.

You can't run the upgrade twice though without restoring the older database, it will expect the old schema.

Also, Thanks for responding! You have answered other questions of mime - I appreciate it.

Theoretically, then it should have re-upgraded the database after I restored the old db backup and restarted jira. It did not seem to, however. Maybe I did not wait long enough in the start up process, but I saw messages in the log stating that certain tables were missing, etc., which I did not expect, so I abandoned ship.

I was hoping to get this to work so I can do a test migration with production data (on my new production machine), get everything set up (jira file-based customizations, plugins, etc) ahead of time, then re-upgrade on migration day starting with a fresh production backup. Is there another way to tackle this problem?

I will try this again in the meantime.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2011

No problem ;-)

Yes, after restoring the old database it should definitely have run through the upgrade procedure....

> Is there another way to tackle this problem?

No, I think you are doing it the right way.

> log stating that certain tables were missing, etc., which I did not expect, so I abandoned ship

That's normal... the upgrade process should then happen.

Nancy Belser October 11, 2011

I tried it again and let it continue on past where I bailed last time and it is working. Thanks, all.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events