I created 3 Agile Kanban Projects in Jira and now would like to further sub-divide them.

Fred_Schulz March 26, 2019

I manage a platform engineering team that performs ongoing tasks and am trying to use Jira (1st timer) to manage these tasks. The tasks themselves are not related in any way but may be similar. So I thought I would create 3 projects to combine similar tasks but would  like to further subdivide these tasks into categories in each of the projects. And this is where I am struggling, how to identify these  categories; I have Components or Stories in mind or am I completely in left field on my approach. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2019

Likely you want Components. Stories are like tasks which are relatively short efforts with a beginning and an end. Components allow you to bucketize your project into, well components. As an example you might have a project that equates to an application product with components: UI, Backend, DB, Forms, Services, API, etc. basically components allow you to group related tasks/stories. You can then have a Component lead that you can assign all new tasks to by default and she/he would then reassign if appropriate or they could be the scrum master for that component. 

Fred_Schulz March 26, 2019

Your quick response is much appreciated Jack. I think I have enough now to really start using Jira. Thank you.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events