I can't drag and drop backlog issues to a sprint...hence can't start a sprint

Nathan March 16, 2020

Hi, 

I have a site/project admin in Jira. I have seen comments about granting myself all sorts of  permission on permission schemes and follow that as well.

But I still drag an issue into a sprint to start one. I am using Next-generation Jira. Is there any issue regarding this?

6 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nathan March 17, 2020

So, it's solved now. I went to 'access' in the project setting. It shows that I am an administrator.  But I just go ahead and type my name in the search filed. Next to the search field, a dropdown menu exists, where you choose which ever access you want to give to the searched user (the option being Administrator, Member, View). Even though, on the list down shows I am administrator, in the dropdown menu the administrator option was not checked. 

I just go ahead and checked that. I didn't see any different on the list, as my name  is still associated with the Admin account. But that did it for the drag and drop thingy. Strange, but worked!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brent March 16, 2020

I can't promise it will fix it for you, but here's what worked for me. Since adding from the Backlog wasn't working, I navigated to one of the individual issue pages and on that page manually added the issue to the desired sprint (right hand side, same as other fields) from the drop down of available sprints (you may need to add the 'Sprint' field to your issue.) 

After that, I refreshed the backlog and it added and I could then drag and drop others as well. Very strange, but give it a shot. 

Nathan March 17, 2020

I did that actually, but it didn't work. First time, i didn't refresh. And I follow what you said, it didn't work either. 

it feels like some things work accidentally in this net-gen. It is not bullet proof yet

2 votes
Nicketa August 16, 2021

Check if ranking is disabled in board configuration.

MarcosWel February 17, 2023

That was it!

Thank you ;)

1 vote
gamate March 23, 2020

it has been solved/fixed!

Stefan Kroon March 23, 2020

I agree

0 votes
gamate March 20, 2020

I have the exact same issue : new gen project, can't drag a ticket from backlog (feature activated) to kanban board

this posted is marked as resolved but it's not

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2020

Nathan, welcome to the Community. Please check the permissions here - project settings - permissions - manage sprints. Do you belong to one or more of the groups/roles listed? If not add yourself to the appropriate group/role.

if everything looks good there then can you say whether anyone can drag items to the sprint? Does this board involved multiple projects? If so be sure to check permissions on each project.

Brent March 16, 2020

There is no "Permissions" option for Next-Gen projects, just "Access", which is role based and does not describe Sprint management. 

I am having the same issue, and I'm an administrator. It's not just the drag and drop, selecting the '..' and trying to add to a sprint manually doesn't work either. 

It's also not the bug folks were having where they turned their sprint feature on and off and the issues disappeared from the sprint after a refresh. The issues in this case don't add to the sprint at all. It must be something silly we've done, some workflow/status/issue edit problem?

Edit: I should add I have no problem adding issues to a sprint in a traditional project, just next-gen. 

Suggest an answer