I am an admin and I cannot assign an issue to anyone other than the "assigned" person???

Michele Whitman December 20, 2018

I am beyond frustrated with this system. I love systems that are in an ABC format, meaning do A,B, and C to make things happen. I feel like I am wasting more time reading about how to make Jira work than implementing anything into the system.

At this point, I have 2 bulk projects in our system. From the bulk projects, I have created issues. Within the issues, I need to assign these to 1 of 4 individuals. Depending on the project 1 or more of the individuals may pop up in the assignee box. I can assign it to myself but I am only an assignee I will never actually complete any of these tasks. The other is the Project lead who occasionally will take on issues but for the most part, they will be allocated out to the other 3 guys. 

What am I missing or not doing and how many steps will need to be completed to just assign a simple issue to someone. This system is supposed to help simplify things if I was using one of my other platforms I could have assigned the task and have had it completed already not messing around with all of these logistics. Sorry just truly frustrated. 

Anyone with a lay mans outline of how to do this, please share as I have 2 hours in reading things that have not helped thus far.

5 answers

2 votes
Michele Whitman January 7, 2019

Thank you for your help in resolving this issue.

0 votes
kavi shree
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 20, 2018

Hi @Michele Whitman

Below are the key thing to assign an issue to a user.

1.The user should be a active jira-user(should have  a jira account,User name will be populated in assignee field only if they have an account)

2.The user should have assignable user permission(You will be able to assign issues to the user who have the mentioned permission) 

3.User should have browse project permission as well to view the assigned issue

To check the 2 and 3 step a user need to have project admin permisson. Follow the below link to check out the permission and user/role setup for a particular project.

Go to Project settings->Project permission(checkout the permissions here)

Go to Project settings->users and role(check out the users/roles set up here)

Project permission and User and Role are always dependable.

Michele Whitman December 26, 2018

There was not a link attached?

I am attaching 2 screenshots as the guys names are entered, it notes they are the service desk team, and under permissions, the desk team from what I see, should be able to receive issues?Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 1.34.52 PM.pngScreenshot 2018-12-26 at 1.35.13 PM.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2019

Hi Michele - So if I understand the problem correctly, you are trying to assign an issue to either Brian or Eric or Robert - but not all of their names are showing up. Correct? Can you do a screen shot of the issue with the assignee field - maybe typing in the first few letters of Robert (like Rob)?

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2018

@Michele Whitman, adding to the good input from others here and given that you are new to Jira I would also recommend this article - Permissions Overview

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

Hi Michele - I would start with making sure you have the right Permissions Scheme attached to the project (under Project Settings). Make sure the Permissions Scheme is attached to a role you have on that project for Assign Issues in the Issue Permissions section. 

Issue Permissions.PNG

Michele Whitman December 20, 2018

I did that prior to reaching out. I contacted customer support as nothing should be this complicated. I use project management software daily and this just seems to be a bit ridiculous in my opinion. I have wasted so much time on this. Thank you for your response I do appreciate it.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

Happy to try to continue helping. Not sure I understand exactly what is going wrong where though. Is it that you cannot assign a ticket to someone because they don't show up in this list of people to assign a ticket to? Is the person Active in the system? Or are you experiencing another problem?

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2018

Hi @Michele Whitman,

Did you check the permission scheme and the users and roles in that projects. 

You should have a look at the assignable user permission and then check if the people you want to assign are in one of the group's or roles that have this permission. 

If you checked that, can you enter the exact username and does it work then? Then you might need the global "Browse User Permission "

Suggest an answer