How to use wildcards in Jira search

Hi,

I'm trying to create filters for confluence pages, but our naming scheme for Jira issues has made this a bit difficult

So this is what the title of an issue looks like, with animals subbed in

Cat Dog (Mouse Cow:Pig_Duck_01)
Cat Dog (Mouse Cow:Pig_Duck_02)
and so on

Now searching for "Pig_Duck_01" returns the first issue, but "Pig_Duck_0?" returns nothing. I've tried many combinations of *, ?,

matching a larger sequence and escaping the parens and more but cant seem to get it to match

im familiar with regex's and this is essentially what i want to match with the Jira search query

Cat Dog (Mouse Cow:Pig_Duck_\d+)
or just
Pig_Duck_\d+
would be enough

If anyone can help me here or point out what im doing wrong, that would be great.

M. Sanchez

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

From: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Performing+Text+Searches

You cannot search on word parts, only on whole words.

You can use '?' for single character replacement or '*' for multiple character replacement. I would suggest your search include the entire 'word' in your example: Cow:Pig_Duck_0?

As J Thomas points out, the summary filed (which I believe you reference as title) has the ability to use the CONTAINS ('~') operator. So, a JQL query like this should work too: summary ~ "Pig_Duck_0*"

What sort of field is the 'title' that you're searching on? Do you get a ~ operator in the Advanced Search? This would search for issues containing the specified value so using just Pig_Duck_0 with no wildcard should work.

The Summary field uses the ~ operator so if I search my JIRA for issues where summary ~ leave I get issues where summary contains the word 'Leaver'.

Nice one!  Worked for me using  the tilda!

In short:

• Use '*' for multiple character replacement
  • Or use '?' for single character replacement

I guess also ~ instead of = at the beginning.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

173 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you