How to upgrade JIRA/Confluence while retaining the old version

Mis January 14, 2013

I want to retain the old version as a reference to see if anything missing after upgrade.

Options:

1. Put both on the same server, different directories

Fail! I can't start the old version after shutting down the new version. Maybe due to license issue ?

2. New version on production server, old version on test server

Fail! The same reason as 1.

3. New version on another production server, old intact as status quo

Does this works? Haven't tried it because I'm afraid of the scenario that the old version can't be started due to license issue.

Or is there any recommendated backup strategy?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

They should all work. It means you are doing something incorrect here. Atlassian has a DEV license that you can use for every production license your purchase for test instances. This is not an issue.

Are you sure they are completely separate instances that you have setup? Database? All the directories? Any other settings?

Are you installing this on Windows or Linux? Are they running on the same port? You will need to change the port if on the same machine.

Mis January 14, 2013

Thx for you reply.

I have changed the port but still fails.

Take option 1 for exemple:

New version -->new production license -->new correspondent DEV license

Old version -->old production license

After upgrade, is the old production license still valid?

Or do I have to change the old version's license to new correspondent DEV license?

And how? (Manaully change confluence.cfg.xml?)

For option 2 (move all the directories and files to test server):

Because the license has bind to specific server ID,

option 2 fails due to different server.

I have to re-install and restore from backup, which may miss something during upgrade.

The goal is to keep the old version completely intact as a reference.

Or can you share your previous successful experience ?

Many thanks.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

Are they referring to the same database? Have you made copies of those as well? Can you please post any errors you get in the logs?

Mis January 14, 2013

It turns out that I should not use the same confluence_home directory.

Copy files to another confluence_home directory, reset confluence_home, start the old version then everything is ok.

Option 1 works.

Thanks for help.

Suggest an answer