How to track feature development.

pragya February 10, 2021

We as PM's make stories & then our engineers have a tasks & then subtasks which have timelines defined by them. We want to be able to derive the timeline of story basis subtasks & tasks. is this possible in JIRA? 

2 answers

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

I would say this is what Jira IS FOR (among other things, of course).

I understand that by story you mean epic since the correct hierarchy in Jira is epic > task > subtask (story being a task, the  name is irrelevant).

I also believe you're mixing a couple concepts. If each subtask has a defined timeline then there you have your timeline. Simply perform a search for each subtask and ORDER BY duedate to get a list of everything. The latest duedate for the last subtask within a story will mark the expected delivery date of that story.

Now... how I believe you should approach this...

So, as a product manager I guess you're acting as product owner aswell? As product owner you should have the authority level to define the priority for each story, according to the value you expect it will provide to you.

The scrum manager should be the one trying to pack as many things as humanly possible in each sprint, based on the estimated effort for each, that are suposed to deliver some value to the customer.

Each sprint does have a duedate and hopefuly if the estimation is good it will be delivered in time so your timeline will be a list of dates corresponding to each sprint and whatever amount of distinctive functionalities the theam could pack in each sprint. 

I hope it helps

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

you might have a look at Roadmaps. There are two solutions for this in Standard (Next-gen and Classic Roadmaps). Premium has Advanced Roadmaps. Or have a look at the Marketplace for other alternatives.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events