How to trace unexpected changes in issue types?

Hi,

On JIRA 6.4.6, we are currently facing a situation where a default issue type name is unexpectidly changed to another (and existing) issue type name. After having activated TRACE logging on the {{com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin}} package, nothing appeared in the logs.

Is there any way to find from where (add-on? automation? other?) this change comes from?

Note that, be it on the database side or from the REST API, everything looks fine, names are kept unchanged.

This problem "only" appears on the GUI of JIRA, admin, issue filters, etc.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes

Sounds like someone has set up a "translation" of some sort.

I'd check the admin audit log to see if someone is messing with the issue type definitions, but also, work through exact cases - where is it displaying correctly and incorrectly?  Is it by user?

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your quick answer. Nothing (no action from another admin) is shown in admin logs plus when trying to manually set the "Bug" issue type to "Customer Bug" it leads to an error (and I have full admin rights). Not to say it seems to be impossible as an admin.

When such an issue happens, it impacts filters or searches of all users (searching for "issuetype=Bug" leads to 0 issue), but displaying a single issue is ok (the correct issue type is shown)

Pascal

So you're saying something is renaming the issue type?  Not translating it or mapping it, but physically changing it?

What's the error when you are trying to rename Bug to customer bug?

Right, no translation or mapping, it looks like a simple renaming. When I try to replay a similar change through the GUI (authenticated as an admin), I reach the following error message:

An issue type with this name already exists.

Ok, so you already have something called "customer bug".  Can you try a rename to "freds bug" or something different?

I tried this also but it is leading to a rename to "Customer Bug" again. To note, in an issue type Scheme, this issue type is always shown as "Bug".

I'm sorry, I don't understand "leading to a rename to".  When you change the name of the "customer bug" and change it to "fred", what exactly happens when you click save?

When I modify the wrong "Customer Bug" issue type (the one that should be "Bug", having the ID=1) to e.g. "Fred", after clicking save, it is indeed changed, but a while later if I refresh the issue type page, it is changed again to "Customer Bug".

Right, so there's actually nothing wrong with the renaming.

Your problem is something else renaming it back later.  You'll need to check through your addons and services to see what is doing this.

Right, this is the track we will follow next, some add-ons were added recently (including Script Runner, btw wink)

It would be easy to write a script that changes the name of an issue.  Might be harder to hide it from the audit log, but that should be possible too.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,088 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you