How to set comment as required field on transition

Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu July 8, 2016

Hello,

I need to make the Comments field mandatory on a transition, so that a new comment needs to be added when transitioning an issue.

I've created a screen that contains the Comment field, added the screen on the transition, and using Validator I've set Comment as required field.

However, now, when I want to use that transition, I get the screen, I add a comment, but when I want to transition, I get the following message: Comment is required. But it is not present on screen.

Screenshot 2016-07-08 10.22.11.png

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Bogdan

2 answers

0 votes

Hi @Joe Pitt,

Sadly that doesn't exactly do.

Using the new field approach makes it so that if I need to re-transition the issue (say from code review back to in progress), the previous comment is still there in the text box, and anyone is able to delete it. This makes traceability a pain.

Thanks,

Bogdan

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2016

If they delete it that will appear in the history. However, you'd have to clear it if you need to 'go back' otherwise it will be there and it won't force them to add a NEW comment.

Exactly, it will not enforce a change.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2016

If it was my workflow I'd clear the field if you went back to 'in progress' just like you clear Resolution if reopening an issue.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2016

It may be because the comment field is dynamically added to all transition screens by JIRA so the validator is looking at the stored screen definition and doesn't see the comment field on it. When I want a comment for a specific transition I create a text field for that transition and make it required. That also makes it easy to find the comment related to the transition. I don't recommend making a comment required on all transitions; you'll just upset your users.

Suggest an answer