How to see long Space names in the Search filter dropdown box?

Steve Brophy November 5, 2012

We have some space names that get long, with the difference showing up at the end of the name (like long project names, ending with 'team', 'public', etc).

Is there a way to distinguish these names when using the 'Search' function with the filtering boxes, under the 'Where' dropdown that lists the spaces?

Other than using better names, I was hoping there would be some trick like holding the mouse over the names that have been shortened with the "..." at the end, and having the full name pop up. Or some way to make the dropdown box wider.

But I haven't found the fix yet, so our users end up picking a space and repeating if it wasn't the one they wanted.

thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2012

Hi Steve,

The answers above will work for the search text field :) For the filter dropdown box however, unfortunately it's hardcoded inside the Confluence code. If you have the source code, you could customize it there. It seems that Confluence will only limit the Space name to 20 character, in search filter panel. It's been tracked on CONF-15777 and CONF-16270.

We've found the cause of this issue in SpacePickerHelper.java, in com.atlassian.confluence.search. The variable is only defined as 20, which is very less.

You could change the following variable to maybe 50, and compile Confluence source.

private static final int MAX_SPACE_NAME_LENGTH = 20;

Please bear in mind that this is not actually tested, so please modify it with discretion.

Hope it helps!

Josua

Steve Brophy November 28, 2012

Thanks. This is a not a huge problem for us, so we will get along with it like this rather than customizing the source and rebuilding. I'm glad to see that the issue is already being tracked.

0 votes
GuilhermeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2012

Hello Steve,

You'll not believe what Answers can do! I found your question right here, and it works! Just tested!

You can change the width: to a higher value, I've used 25em;

Please let me know if it works for you!

Cheers,

Guilherme

Steve Brophy November 28, 2012

Thanks for tracking down this link, I hadn't realized this was something that could be customized. If I can increase the width of the dropdown box that should sove our problem.

We've not done any customizing before, it looks like I'll need to get familiar with using stylesheets to get the css changes in. When I went to Stylesheet under the Look and Feel section in the Admin browsing, there was no existing style to edit yet, so I'll need to get a new one set up. Are there any template ones to start from? I'll start going through the customization sections in the manuals to better understand what I'm looking for.

Suggest an answer