How to put custom field value into comment but have restriction to who can read/see the comment

Michael Angelo Timoteo July 23, 2018

As a user, I want to know how can a custom field's value be copied in the comment section but have restriction to only be selected group can read it.

Scenario:

I have two group (API Dev, QA Dev) and a group called Client, Now, in jira there is a custom field (multi line text box) where I place on a screen that is used in a pop up and the API Dev and Software write their remarks on the ticket. Is there a way for me to copy every remarks to go in the comment BUT client will not be able to read the comments by API Dev but able to see and read QA Dev's comments.

Is this possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

Hello,

I can see two ways to do it:

1. You can restrict comment visibility by choosing a group or a role, which can see this comment.

2. You can use Jira Service Desk. There are two types of comments: internal and shared. Shared can be seen by anyone but internal only by Service Desk Agents.

@Alexey Matveev,

Thanks for the input, I will try your suggestions.

@Alexey Matveev,

Is there a way for me to do it using only Jira core?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2018

You can restrict comment visibility in Jira Core. You can create a comment and then you will see a lock there. Click on the lock icon and you will be able to restrict this comment to a group or a role. 

If you want to automate this process, then you should have such plugins as ScriptRunner.

0 votes
informatikus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2018

I assume the custom field should be viewable for previously specified users / roles too. To be able to do this you'll need an addon: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/23216/field-security-plugin-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

As Alexey already said, the comment(s) could be restricted to specific users / roles, too. To do this you'll either need jira service desk or a scripting add on like scriptrunner.

Aside from all the technical stuff:

As you question the need for JIRA service desk, I'd highly recommend to work on your strategic planning before working out any technical solution. 

Michael Angelo Timoteo July 25, 2018

I guess plugin will be a solution too but im on tight budget, thanks for the answer

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events