How to push a broadcast a common message to all sub-tasks in a main task?

DHIMAN Lalit May 24, 2023

How to push a broadcast a common message to all sub-tasks in a main task?

2 answers

0 votes
DHIMAN Lalit May 28, 2023

Hello John,

Good to hear from you.

More details : I have a task with several sub-tasks in it. An assignee asked to provide more details about the issue & what exactly is expected, the clarity was provided in his sub-task. Subsequently the request came from couple of more users and I though it would be better if I broadcast the same explanation and expectation details to all sub-tasks through bulk operation, like we can progress sub-tasks together using this operation.

However, as you would notice in following image there is no option to broadcast a common message to all sub-tasks.
Capture.PNG

Is there any other way to do it?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Dhiman - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Can you provide some more details? What exactly are you trying to do? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2023

Hi Dhiman - if you would, please include all of your comments in this comment thread so that readers will be able to follow the conversation. 

What do yo mean by "common message"? Do you want to update fields in the other sub-tasks based on the information that was updated in the sub-task that got changed?

DHIMAN Lalit May 29, 2023

Hello John,

Good to hear from you.

More details : I have a task with several sub-tasks in it. An assignee asked to provide more details about the issue & what exactly is expected, the clarity was provided in his sub-task. Subsequently the request came from couple of more users and I though it would be better if I broadcast the same explanation and expectation details to all sub-tasks through bulk operation, like we can progress sub-tasks together using this operation.

However, as you would notice in following image there is no option to broadcast a common message to all sub-tasks.
Capture.PNG

Is there any other way to do it?

Hello John,

By "Common message", I mean "same message" to be transmitted in all sub-tasks i.e. content of the message remains same. And this is why it will be helpful if it can be done through Bulk operation.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

How are you adding/accomplishing this message?

Currently I have to copy paste n no. of times where n = no. of sub-tasks.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

Sorry, I am not following this at all. Can you give a step-by-step scenario that you are doing and what you want to see? 

Hello John,

Let me try to be simple by giving you an example :

• Create a New Task
  • Create 10 sub-tasks in the main task.
  • Now I want to add same comment in 10 sub-tasks, how to do it?
    • Option 1 : Add comment in 1 sub-task and copy-paste in other 9 sub-tasks.
    • Option 2 : ?
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Let's see what we can do. Maybe add the comment to the Parent and copy it down to all the children under a branch? 

Like DHIMAN Lalit likes this
DHIMAN Lalit May 30, 2023

Hello John,

Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks to let me know when you come out with some solution.

Regards,

Lalit Dhiman

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

I guess that's my suggested solution - add the comment to the parent and copy it down to the children. 

So base the trigger on Issue Commented

Then add a Branch for Sub-tasks

then add a new action for Comment on Issue

You might want to do this as a Manual rule though or every comment on the parent will get copied to every subtask. 

Screenshot.png

DHIMAN Lalit May 30, 2023

thanks for your quick proposal.

Looks good in all, also agree that it should be a manual rule to  be turned ON only when required.

Few comments :

• Some users might not want to publish a generic comment in main task just to broadcast in sub-tasks.
  • Also. some users might want to broadcast message in selected sub-tasks only.

This is where I find "Bulk Operation" option good as it allows to select sub-tasks for operation. 

Maybe a better solution will be to just provide users an additional option in Bulk operation for sub-tasks, something like this....
Untitled.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

You could do that, especially if only some sub-tasks get the comment and some don't. 

The other option would be to add the comment to a Sub-task and then grab the parent key, then create a branch with JQL for {{issue.parent.key}} = {{triggerIssue.parent.key}}

Suggest an answer