How to prevent users automatically getting added to Jira/Other Atlassian Products

Eric Dargelies
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 1, 2024

We're having some challenges maintaining the utilization of different Atlassian products. When you invite a user to Atlassian they automatically get added to every product unless you select "unselect all". Is there a way to flip this behavior so that by default they don't get access to any products and we have to manually give access to each?

The obvious solution: "fix your onboarding process so that your people don't grant access to everything"

Ideally the tool would help enable that process. Unless I'm missing something, the tool seems to optimize for as many Atlassian subscriptions as possible. Great for Atlassian, really bad for the customer.

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2024

Hi @Eric Dargelies 

I do not believe that has been fixed: allowing customers to change the default product selections for new users.  In my last role, we had a problem where new users were added to Jira Product Discovery (JPD) by default.

The current solution is to ask your Jira site admin to contact Atlassian Support and they can adjust the default products for new users: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Kind regards,
Bill

Eric Dargelies
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 6, 2024

Thanks Bill. One of the issues was that we allowed anyone with our domain to create an Atlassian account, this would grant them access to all products. We've since just removed that so they need approval from an admin, where we can assign the proper permissions. Less self service, but better control. We'll look into contacting support if this process is to onerous.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer