How to mange time spent for subtasks on burndown chart?

Andrew Hall April 12, 2017

I am having issues with the time spent 'green' line on the burndown chart.

My project is set up as follows:

• Original Time Estimate, Time Spent, Remaining hour estimation is all being done at the sub task level
  • On the user story level, I am using 'Include Sub Tasks' checkbox in the time tracking section so that time spent, and remaining hours roll up to the parent

Expected Results:

1. When logging time at the sub task level, the parent should update time spent and remaining hour estimate (since 'Include Sub Tasks' checkbox is checked
  2. On the burndown chart, time spent and remaining value lines should update based on time spent and remaining hours updates on the subtasks

Actual Results:

1. Expected result #1 above is working correctly. When I open the parent user story, I see the remaining hour and time spent is correct based on time logged at the sub task level
  2. Expected result #2 above is only partially working. Remaining value line (Red Line) on the burndown chart is updating correctly based on time logged and remaining hour estimate changes at the sub task level. Time Spent line (Green Line) in the burndown chart is not updating based on time logged at the sub task level.

It seems as though the time spent line in the burndown chart is only updated when time is logged at the parent level. It is not capturing time entered at the sub task level. The remaining value line does update when time is logged at the sub task level. My expectation would be that both Remaining value and time spent lines updated based on time logged at the sub task level.

Please advise

2 answers

0 votes
Simon Bate October 25, 2021

Hi, I am struggling with this issue.  Can someone help please? 

0 votes
Nigel Rochford
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 21, 2017

Can you share a screenshot of the board config for Configuration -> Estimation?

Suggest an answer