How to manage project for R&D department

Ivana Miljkovic March 23, 2020

Hi guys, 

Can you please help me with your advice how to manage projects within R&D department. I have been working as PM for 2,5 years and have never had an experience with these type of projects, only with Software projects. Also, Jira wasn't tool I used in a past, some internal company tool. So, two things I have to learn now - Jira and how to manage this new type of project. 

I started with creating Classic project and issues I used are:

version

epics

user stories with subtasks. 

Any advice is helpful. 

Thanks a lot, 
Ivana

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2020

Hello @Ivana Miljkovic ,

We have a few blog posts out that cover exactly this topic and have some good ideas and tips that I recomend checking out:

The Big question though is what do you plan to do with the R&D project?  Are you looking to use it for issue collection from external users as Service Desk might be best in this case.  If you're looking to do a task based approach more of checklist of items through a workflow, a business project might be best, or if you are looking to maintain granular issue tracking and release schedule planning Jira Software may be the best to use.

Regards,
Earl

Jordan Lampe May 17, 2021

I'm interested in the R&D tax credit portion of this question.

I'd like to engineer a workflow that captures the necessary information to help our teams determine and indicate if a piece of work was eligible for R&D. Some of this will need to be a mixture of data elements at different issue levels, defined labels, and—external to jira—some education around eligibility, but I'd be interested in how others have helped reduce the cognitive load using jira!

Any case studies out there? I've looked at agile and lean accounting, but there's not much in terms of automating the process as much as possible. 

Like # people like this
John Wilson October 14, 2021

I would like some assistance on the same question raised by Jordan.

Suggest an answer