How to make a 2 week personal plan in JIRA?

Aren Cambre March 29, 2012

I am using JIRA to manage a team. We're starting to work in 2 week cycles, where at the beginning of the cycle, each team member has a set of committed issues to finish. Then at the end of the 2 week cycle, we have a retrospective to review progress.

How could this be managed in JIRA? I'm kind of befuddled because there seems to be a lot of alternatives, but none appear to be satisfactory.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2012
Hi Aren, Have a look at the GreenHopper Plugin. Your approach sounds like kind of scrum. Your cycles are Sprints, which in GreenHopper are Versions. Best regards Thomas
Aren Cambre March 29, 2012

Thanks. Yes, this is Scrum-like. I do have Greenhopper installed, but one challenge is I don't appear to have a way of showing everyone's tasks for all projects, all at once. And even if I did, how do I or my colleagues make a commitment to complete a task over a given 2 week period?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2012

Have you tried the rapid board ? With this board, you can view the result of a JQL search on a task board. With the rapid board, you can see more than one project, depending on your saved filter.

Aren Cambre July 26, 2012

Rapid Board is only a partial solution. I still appear to lack a coherent way to assign issues, across all my projects, to consistent sprints.

1 vote
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2012

We had a similar use case in mind when we were starting working on Structure plugin. Although Structure is positioned as a solution for the issue hierarchy, it works really well for personal to-do lists. You could create personal structures (lists of issues) for each person on the team, or create a single structure for the team with sub-issues for every person and make all tasks assigned to that person to be sub-sub-issues. In the latter variant, all tasks for everyone can be shown, and progress is calculated individually or in total.

Let me know if you need help in setting up the configuration.

Hope this helps,
Igor

Disclosure: I'm with the company behind Structure plugin

Suggest an answer