How to integrate rational clear quest to Jira?

richa m December 5, 2012

Jira_cookbook is only for migration not for integration? My orgamisation is using Rational Clear Quest for bug tracking and Jira for Iteration planning. I want to associate the defect raised in clear quest to Current iteration in Jira. How can i do that?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2012

The cookbook is for migration because most people want to move off Clear Quest and on to Jira. Ideally, you should choose to drop one of them completely and migrate to the better one.

However, to "integrate" them, you need to decide exactly what you mean by "integrate" - it's far too vague a word to start from. "associate CQ defect with Jira iteration (version)" is far more useful, but you need to define what that association should do - how does it look to the user on either end? How is it stored in the two systems?

I'd propose two approaches, although there's probably more, and plenty of variations.

1. Simple linking. In Clear Quest, create a field for "iteration" and write a REST connector so that it can read the list of versions/iterations from Jira to allow people to populate it. In Jira, you'd need to write a panel or report or some way to display the results of a Clear Quest query "all items with field set to this version"

2. Duplication - create bugs in Jira on a 1-to-1 basis - each bug in Clear Quest is a bug in Jira too. A bit of code in Clear Quest to trap new bugs there and poke them into Jira would do the trick, along with something to trap changes and replicate them to Jira. You could make the issues non-editable in Jira, or better, allow people to edit in Jira and have a listener that pushes the changes in Clear Quest (of course, the logical extension of this is to do everything in Jira and drop Clear Quest completely...)

richa m December 9, 2012

Thanks for your suggestions. My organisation does not want to move off Clear quest on to Jira. We would be using both as per the project requirements.Association here means CQ number can be the common field in both Jira and Clear quest. For any new iteration in Jira, i should be able to link the issues raised in Clear quest.I would try with first approach. Then get back to you for further help.

Suggest an answer