How to implement a Jira plugin that limit account name allowed at SignUp?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

I want to write a Jira plugin that force people to use a certain username pattern when they register their accounts in Jira.

This is happening inside the form is displayed at `/secure/Signup!default.jspa` and is based on `$JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/views/signup.jsp` view.

Still, I have no idea what to put inside the plugin in order to make it fail, and also I do not want to go the easy way and implement this in JavaScript on the client, not because of security, just because I want a solution that does not brake when you upgrade Jira.

Update: I found that DefaultUserService.java - still I'm not sure how to implement this in a plugin and preferably writing a minimal amount of code.

Probably what I need is to throw a CreateExeption from inside the plugin, but what to implement inside the plugin to throw this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2013

Because I don't want to loose my customization each time I'm doing a Jira update, I ended up writing a jQuery check. I know, it is not safe but it is better than loosing changes on updates.

0 votes
ConradR
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2013

You have to overwrite the Signup WebAction as described in this tutorial: http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2010/10/extending-jira-actions.html

In this case it should be the following definition in your atlassian-plugin.xml:

<webwork1 key="new-signup" name="New Signup" class="java.lang.Object">
        <actions>
            <action name="com.foo.bar.NewSignup" alias="Signup">
                <view name="success">/views/signup-success.jsp</view>
                <view name="limitexceeded">/views/signup-limitexceeded.jsp</view>
                <view name="alreadyloggedin">/views/signup-alreadyloggedin.jsp</view>
                <view name="error">/views/signup.jsp</view>
                <view name="input">/views/signup.jsp</view>
                <view name="modebreach">/views/modebreach.jsp</view>
                <view name="systemerror">/views/signup-systemerror.jsp</view>
            </action>
        </actions>
    </webwork1>

Then you have to extend com.atlassian.jira.web.action.user.Signup and validate the username:

@Override
    protected void doValidation() {

if (getUsername().matches("mypattern")){
            addError("username", getText("mytext"));
        }

super.doValidation();
    }

Then the user sees a red error message at the username field.

Suggest an answer