How to easily copy a JIRA issue title?

Jonah Petri April 23, 2013

Hello,

When committing a fix, we always include the issue number and current title in our commit comments. It's really bloody hard to get that text in JIRA from the issue detail screen - the title itself is an HTML edit box, and the ID # for the issue is buried in the title bar and elsewhere on the screen in fairly inaccessible ways.

Is there any easy way to get the issue ID and title into my pasteboard?

8 answers

5 votes
maxday March 26, 2015

I developed an Chrome Extension for this exact purpose.

Download the extension here : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jira-issue-easycopy/phkppaelmhlpnoolfdpfklchkmmncmlo

Go to your issue, press the extension button and you will have the issue number + issue description directly into your clipboard smile

If you are interested, you can browse the open source code here : https://github.com/maxday/jira-issue-easyCopy

Deleted user November 15, 2018

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

ryanbu February 8, 2019

The Chrome Extension link leads to a 404 now. Is this in the store under another name?

Like # people like this
Alexander Bondarchuk July 18, 2019

@Roland Siegel can I put URL + summary into clipboard? 

Roland Siegel August 1, 2019

@Alexander Bondarchuk 

of course. you can freely configure what the button shall copy to the clipboard.

When editing the customfield the following "Copy Pattern" will copy "URL + summary" to the clipboard:

http(s)://YOUR_JIRA_DOMAIN/browse/$issue.key + $issue.summary

Alexander Bondarchuk August 1, 2019

@Roland Siegel since I don't have permissions on the Jira server I've just added an extension to my browser:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/copy-url-from-tabinfocopy/kplmddgdeigcadlfohcelfefiinfghpi

alex_intechnic April 1, 2020

@Roland Siegel , I'm using JIRA 8.8.x and add-on , but https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217803/copy-to-clipboard?hosting=server&tab=overview is compatible with JIRA 8.6.x only. Because of that I can't install it from JIRA marketplace on https://my-jira-domain.com /plugins/servlet/upm/marketplace/search?q=Copy%20To%20Clipboard url.

Petr Bodnár December 12, 2020

It looks like this topic is still actual, so here are my two cents... Personally, I'm using my own Greasemonkey user script: look for "JIRA_copy.user.js" at https://github.com/pbodnar/gm-scripts. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the latest Jira version. Anyway, you can change script's keyboard shortcuts or what parts of page it extracts quite easily, if you are into JavaScript - just modify the source code a little bit.

And of course, it is also possible to wrap the JS into a Jira plugin, which seems to be quite easy to do, but I haven't got time for it yet...

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think about it. :)

Like # people like this
2 votes
AmandaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

Hi Jonah,

For the issue summary/title and Issue key/ID, if you click on your mouse and hold it during srolling up or down, it will not direct you to the edit mode. you can try to put your mouse console at the end of the title on issue details page, click on it but hold your finger on and scroll left and up until include all the title and issue key. Then you can make a copy at on time.

Regards

Jonah Petri April 24, 2013

That doesn't work, as it also selects the "Display" menu title.

Fabrice Bauzac October 26, 2016

It does work for me!

2 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

If you click between the project name and the issue key (there is no link active on this position) and hold the left mouse button, you can easily drag behind the summary underneath the key to mark key and summary in one step and past this into your comment. You only have to remove the line break after pasting.

Henning

Jonah Petri April 24, 2013

That is what I've resorted to, but it grabs the "Display" menu title as well when I select it (at least in firefox).

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2013

In Firefox I have an additional line feed in the copied text but nothing else. Maybe this is different on your version of JIRA. Sorry.

1 vote
Luke November 21, 2019

Works in Chrome on issue details screen:

1.  select two lines: ID + title
2.  click RMB(right mouse button) and choose: Search Google for "..."
3. new tab will be opened with google search and our two inconvenient lines will be already joined and prepared to be copied further

It might not be the most elegant way, but at least you don't have to install any additional tools to use it:)

0 votes
Infont X LLC February 7, 2015

i added the following code snippet to "announcement banner" /secure/admin/EditAnnouncementBanner.jspa which allows HTML and it added Text to Ticket number in Single Issue view, Search and Agile Board

tested in Chrome only but pretty sure FF will work or easy to adjust

<script>
setInterval(function() {
	var custAttr = 'data-issue-text-updated'
	var issueKeyElement = document.getElementById("key-val");
	if (issueKeyElement && document.getElementById("summary-val")) {
		if (issueKeyElement[custAttr] == "true") {
			return;
		}
		issueKeyElement.innerHTML += " - " + document.getElementById("summary-val").innerText
		issueKeyElement[custAttr] = 'true';
	}
	//* Agile Board
	var issueKeyElement = document.querySelector("a[title='View this issue in JIRA']");
	if (issueKeyElement && document.querySelector("dd[data-field-id='summary']")) {
		if (issueKeyElement[custAttr] == "true") {
			return;
		}
		issueKeyElement.innerHTML += " - " + document.querySelector("dd[data-field-id='summary']").innerText
		issueKeyElement[custAttr] = 'true';
	}
}, 1000)
</script>
0 votes
Ivan Onushkin October 23, 2013
Fabrice Bauzac October 26, 2016

The first link seems to not work anymore.

However there seem to be several solutions for Chrome:

Like Calder Stembel likes this
0 votes
Jonah Petri April 30, 2013

The answer is "you can't".

Jonah Petri October 19, 2017

4 years later, and thousands of bug titles manually selected and then manually formatted, you STILL can't do this.

Atlassian just redid the entire UI.  But they didn't change this.  I guess internally they like manually selecting and copy/pasting/formatting text?  I'm super frustrated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2017

It's because they don't expect it to be used like that.  If you're pasting it into places, you should be looking at better integration between tools, not copying and pasting.

Like Tyler Chlumecky likes this
David C July 3, 2018

I wish I could downvote as very unhelpful @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- for "you should be looking at better integration between tools". So if my company hasn't adopted a full Atlassian stack, I'm doing it wrong?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2018

No, there are other tools which integrate fine, far better than copy and paste.

0 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2013

hi,

Use filter result on to your dashboard with all the required columns.

Refer - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+the+Filter+Results+Gadget for more details.

Jonah Petri April 23, 2013

Thanks, but I want to get to the bug ID and title from the issue detail screen, not from my dashboard, so this doesn't really help me, AFAICT.

Suggest an answer