How to distribute incidents over multiple backlogs?

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2016

Hi,

I work for a company where we have several scrum teams with own backlogs. Each team develops a different part of the infrastructure and they are also responsible for incidents on those parts. Now when our users create incidents we want a way to make them show up on the backlog of those teams. Is there a better way then to do this then for example adding a custom field "resolving team" and make the backlogs filter on that?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Cavanna October 18, 2016

If you can identify those areas by Component, you can build out the JQL for each team's board to include issues with their specific components. Those logging incidents would have to assign the component. You may also want a dashboard that shows incidents without components as they will need to be triaged before they show up on the team boards with component-specific filters.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2016

Our scrumteams are still starting up, the components haven't been divided that sharp to know. So that's unfortunately not an option now, but something we strive for in the future. The dashboard is a solid idea though, thanks!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2016

To do this, you need a method to identify which issues need to be included in a board and use it in the JQL filter for the board.

I don't think there's a way to do it quite so arbitrarily - there has to be something you can filter on, and as a JIRA issue is essentially a collection of fields and information about it, it has to be something in there, and it's only logical that is is a field (unless you can come up with some other rule that works off existing information - project, issue type etc).

You might have some success with labels instead of a drop-down custom field, but I don't think there's another approach.

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2016

Thanks Nic, that's what i was thinking.

Suggest an answer