How to create simple templates for iterative Jira issues

Wolfram Kube November 2, 2011

Hi all,

every day we have a lot of iterative issues, eg paper jam on a printer or blocked session in citrix. We are looking for a possibility to create simple templates for such issues, where most general informations are pre-recorded, so that we can choose the respective template from a list and only have to fill in additional user information or specifications. How can we do this?

6 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2011

Create issue types like 'Paper jam' or 'Blocked session Citrix', and so on
Create one field configuration for each issue type in a project specific field configuration scheme.

For each issue type you can initialize the field description (or summary) in the Create issue screen with code like the one below. You just have to put this code in the Description of the system field description/summary

<script language="JavaScript">

AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
if ( document.getElementById("description").value == "" )
document.getElementById("description").value = "Line1\n\Line2\n...";

}
</script>

}

That way you easily prefill the Create screen.

You can even use Wiki-Synatax if you have enabled the Wiki-Renderer in the field configuration.

Luke Timms January 21, 2015

this sounds like what I'm after but I'm not clear on the steps. In the past I had a shortcut in Chrome that autofilled my newly created ticket with a template for filling in, this was a huge time saver and meant that the tickets all had the same layout.

abakhach January 16, 2017

I tried your suggestion.. didn't work

Edit Field Layout Item - JIRA 2017-01-16 20-56-44.pngCreate issue - JIRA 2017-01-16 20-58-22.png

Bartosz Wojciechowski February 8, 2017

Same here. It's not the Description field that gets filled in, but a space directly below it. Any help on this one will be appreciated.

Paul Junior Kasseyet September 27, 2017

Hello,

Same behaviour as Bartosz using the Cloud version.

Any of you have managed to do the prefill Create Screen settings?

Like Aditya Pandurangan likes this
Thomas Thompson October 11, 2018

I think there was a JS syntax error above... try this:

<script language="JavaScript">

AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
if ( document.getElementById("description").value == "" ) {
document.getElementById("description").value = "Line1\n\Line2\n...";
}
});
</script>

Like # people like this
Nicholas Zaleski August 22, 2019

Where exactly do you add this code? 

Joe Meeks January 3, 2020

@Thomas Thompson I am also unable to find where to add this snippet for the Description field description.

Thomas Thompson January 3, 2020

I'm not an admin user, but I think you have to add it to the location shown in the screenshots at the top of the page

Edit Field Layout Item - JIRA 2017-01-16 20-56-44.png

Like Laura likes this
1 vote
Krzysztof Skoropada [Deviniti]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012
Martin Gregory February 8, 2016

Still not supported in the cloud sad

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2016

We are working on it at this moment smile Issue Templates will see Cloud in the next few weeks. 

Like abhishek_madhu likes this
Marci Boecking July 31, 2017

Do we have Issue Templates in Jira cloud yet? :)

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2017

Hi, Yes - version for Cloud is available :) 

Kenny Czadzeck January 30, 2018

@Krzysztof Skoropada [Deviniti] Is there support for templating multiple tasks+subtasks from the epic level? I have searched your documentation for JIRA cloud but cannot find the answer.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2018

Hi Kenny, 

You are right. On the Cloud version this feature is no available, however, we have started working on this. We will keep you posted! 

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 20, 2018

Hi @Kenny Czadzeck,

Epic templates are already available in the Cloud version as well. Feel free to test it :)

Lindsay Rall March 1, 2019

@Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_ are templates available for issues in the Cloud version yet? And if so, is it available in the Classic or Next Gen? Thanks!

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2019

Hi @Lindsay Rall ,

Yes, Issue Templates for Jira is available for Jira Cloud. Unfortunately, at the moment we're restricted to Classic projects because of inability to execute POST methods on Next-gen. The app will work on the new projects as soon as Atlassian team enables this.

Like Lindsay Rall likes this
Harsh Patel July 31, 2019

Hi Dzmitry - is Jira service desk supported for templating please? Im looking to create a bunch of prepopulated templates for common service catalogue requests.

Dzmitry Hryb _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
July 31, 2019

Hi @Harsh Patel

In Jira Server, you can enable using Issue Templates from the app in Jira Service Desk. You can even mark a template as Default and map it to a particular request type, so the form will be filled in automatically each time. Here's more information about it in the app's documentation.

There's no such a possibility right now in the Cloud version of the app, though.

Harsh Patel July 31, 2019

Thanks Dzimtry, we are on the cloud version of jira service desk, ill keep looking for something suitable. 

Cornelius Maximen February 8, 2021

Hi is this feature enabled for next gen projects yet? I would like to create a raft of templates for common service requests.

1 vote
Beth Schaefermann
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2011

Our current guidance to our project teams is to create a version called "Templates" and fill it with stories for cloning. I did not find any existing capabilities or plug-ins in the catalog that would otherwise suffice.

If you can get fancy, you might also build Excel macros for importing pre-defined issues.

This also appears to be related to this feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7731

0 votes
Manisha Kode July 27, 2020

@Wolfram Kube  - 

do you have any that you are using and would recommend for datacenter? I am looking at 3 - 

Easy Templates for Jira Issues

Issue Templates for Jira

-Smart Issue Templates for Jira

I see this question is closed 

0 votes
Per Viberg July 24, 2019

Actually the best workaround is to use a python script for this.

There is a very "easy-to-use" python module for interfacing with jira. Read the docs here. With very basic python skills, you will be up and running within 30min.
https://jira.readthedocs.io/en/master/ 

further pros are:

* no need to install plugins.

* you can reuse it on every jira instance you've got access to.

* you will be more productive, and no one else will know why :).

Anthony Madhvani October 8, 2019

I don't see how that's a solution to the issue at hand? That library does not allow one to create issue templates.

Marc Laforet October 30, 2019

You could use python to create an issue builder class. Create defaults that are configurable and then you will have an issue template maker functioning as a python executable.

0 votes
Paulo Lopes November 1, 2012

There's a plugin that allows you to export issues using a word template. It's simple and easy! all you have to do is to create your own templates using keywords.

Check more information here: Xporter for JIRA

Cheers,

Suggest an answer