How to create a timeline for Tasks (instead of EPIC)

Alessandro Borges
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 4, 2023

I'd like to create a timeline for our registered Task but there are timelines only for EPIC.

How to do that?

And what's the difference between Task and Epic? 

3 answers

12 votes
antonis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 17, 2023

Hello,

This is a complete useless feature. I don't understand why you tied timeline with epics only?

We are not using epics but instead we directly create tasks and bugs. Based on that, developers estimate due date. Why should you not allow us to view those in timeline? Why should we create epic for each task bug?

Instead you should have named that EPICS timeline not timeline.

Muhammad Dyas Yaskur
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2023

Indeed, I wholeheartedly concur with your perspective.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Lucia Otoyo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 28, 2023

You can view tasks and user stories, even bugs. Follow these instructions suggested by Bing.com. I tried it and it works:

To create child issues and show them as colored bars on the timeline, you need to follow these steps:

• First, you need to enable child-issue planning on your timeline. You can do this by selecting More (•••) in the top right corner of your board, then selecting Board settings. Alternatively, from your timeline, select > Configure Timeline from the upper right of your timeline view (next to Export).
  • Next, you need to add the Start date and Due date fields to the issue view for your project. These fields are used to schedule issues on the timeline. You can learn how to add these fields to your issue view [here].
  • Finally, you can create child issues directly in the timeline view and assign them to an epic. You can do this by hovering over the parent issue and clicking more (•••), then selecting the hierarchy level for the issue you are creating. This will add a row for the new issue right below the parent issue.
Edie Hovermale November 3, 2023

Lucia,
The issue here is that folks would like to view Task type issues within the timeline that are NOT part of an Epic.

Oddly, we are using Advanced Roadmaps so issue types in our hierarchy that are above Epic are showing in the timeline, just not Task type issues that do NOT have an Epic parent. 

I would really like the timeline to give an option to include issues without parents. At this point I am forced to create an Epic just to see a task in the timeline... more tickets are not good.
Edie

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2023

Hi @Alessandro Borges , welcome to the community.

Timeline is a rather recent feature within Jira and it is based on epics as you found. This is not configurable. An epic is a large story, consisting of many stories or tasks. Think of it as a container for stories/tasks that defined the larger end solution or product. As an example, you might have a large software feature that can be developed and possibly delivered in smaller components. If you think about it, having a timeline on a task, really doesn't make a lot of sense. A single task has a beginning and an end. In contrast an epic will have a beginning and an end, but the underlying tasks will help break down that epic in smaller bits.

Moshe Gryka
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 13, 2023

-

Muhammad Dyas Yaskur
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2023

At times, we may initially create a timeline specifically for one epic, but we often encounter situations where tasks from other related epics need to be integrated into the timeline. Therefore, the ability to seamlessly add tasks to the timeline is of utmost importance under such circumstances.

Furthermore, when we create a timeline exclusively for a single epic, it becomes inconvenient as we have to uncollapse the epic to view the entire timeline, which can be disruptive.

Like # people like this
Arshi October 20, 2023

@Jack Brickey What you're saying doesn't make sense. Sometimes tasks are medium sized features that aren't epics. Basically, not everything is an epic. And just because it's not an epic, doesn't mean we don't want it showing up on the timeline. Only having features/projects that are epics showing up on timeline makes this timeline useless. It should, at least, be configurable within the timeline settings. This would help visualize the totality of work immensely!

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2023

I guess it depends on how you view Epics. What works for one may not for another. I certainly appreciate your perspective. 

Arshi October 25, 2023

I agree, hence the need for flexibility :) 

Like Andres Morales Reyes likes this
Andrew_Heawood May 21, 2024

I've just hit this issue too.  I can drag Epics onto the timeline but not their child tasks.  I have followed all of the steps Lucia described but it still doesn't work. 

Edie Hovermale May 21, 2024

@Andrew_Heawood , Just a thought, check to see if the configuration board query includes tasks. 

Andrew_Heawood May 22, 2024

Thanks Edie but I'm don't know what you mean by "the configuration board query"

Edie Hovermale May 22, 2024

@Andrew_Heawood

First, you need to have Project Administration role to be able to do the following.

Check the board query:

1. In the right top corner of your board choose the ellipses then select "Configure board' menu option
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 9.20.47 AM.png
  2. On the Settings screen choose General. Scroll down and check that the JQL query for the board includes Tasks. You can check this by clicking the 'Edit filter query' link which takes you to a new tab where you can check to see if Tasks appear. If they don't appear you will need to adjust the JQL and save the query.
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 9.34.02 AM.png

Toggle the 'Include Child-Level Issues' on

1. In the right top corner of your board choose the ellipses then select "Configure board' menu option
  2. On the Settings screen choose Timeline
  3. Toggle the INCLUDE CHILD-LEVEL ISSUES on
    Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 9.36.26 AM.png

If you still don't see the Tasks let me know.

Odette Vuletich June 14, 2024

Edie

I tried your suggestion- toggling on the option to include child level issues, but unfortunately still we don't see them on the timeline.  we see only epics.  

Edie Hovermale June 14, 2024

@Odette Vuletich

Check to see if the board query includes Tasks (Standard Issue Types). Also check that the Epics have children.

Edie Hovermale June 14, 2024

@Odette Vuletich

Remember there is a bug that only shows Tasks that are under Epics. Tasks without a parent Epic will not show... which is very lame. :-) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events