Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create a Structure based on Subtasks ?

Hi all, 

I don't know if it's particularly challenging or if I missed something basic, but I can't sort this out hence my help request here. 

For the Structures I usually use, I can make the Subtasks visible by clicking "Extend" then "Sub-tasks". However, for a specific Structure, I would like to first select a specific list of Sub-tasks (based on the assignees), and then show the levels of Parent Links (Sub-tasks < Stories < Epics < Initiatives < Themes). A bit like this : 

structure.png

It doesn't seem to work so easily as I wanted and to be honest, I'm not really I'm doing the right way as I'm definitely not a Structure expert. 

The filter I started with is "issuetype = Sub-task and assignee = nnoels" but I'm not sure it's the right starting point... 

Thanks for your help ! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Erik Collard ,

Yulia from ALM Works here.

Could you describe if your goal is to create a hierarchy where sub-tasks are your top-level and the parent issues are shown as children in the hierarchy?
Or is it that you want to start with your sub-tasks, still at the lowest level, and then add in the parent levels of the hierarchy?

Best regards
Yulia

I believe he would like to start at the sub-task level, @Yulia _ALM Works_  and "build up" from there, if he can.

Is that right, @Erik Collard ?

Like Erik Collard likes this

Hi @Yulia _ALM Works_ and @Dave Rosenlund _ALM Works_ thanks a lot for reaching out ! 

exactly Dave, my goal would be to start with the subtasks and build up from there. 

Hello @Erik Collard 

Thank you very much for the clarification!  You are definitely at the right starting point!!!  If you are on Structure 7.0 or higher, you will be able to use the solution below:

The first thing you will do is add an Insert Generator with your "issuetype = Sub-task and assignee = nnoels" query.

Then, we will use Group Generators to build the Hierarchy from the bottom up.

The first Group we will need to add is "by Attribute"

• in the "group by" option, select: formula
  • in the formula box, type:   parent

From there, you can use Group by "Epic" and "Issue Links..." to build the rest of your structure up from the current level. 

Please let us know if this helps!

We look forward to your feedback!

Best regards
Yulia

Like # people like this

Hello @Yulia _ALM Works_  Thanks a million from your clear and detailed reply ! 😊 

Thanks to this, I could indeed create the Structure I wanted. I struggled a bit to Group by Epics, but then I googled, found this link from ALM Works (kudos to the team) and discovered about this "Consider other groups" option that helped me here. 

ninstructure.png

As I didn't know about ALM Works, I googled a bit more and found out that you guys built the Structure app amongst others. So good job about this and about your amazing follow-up here 😊😊

Like Yulia _ALM Works_ likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you