How to create Sub-task in Jira

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

I looked at the DOC and it says under the MORE tab there should be a Create Sub Task Selection. We do not have that selection available. I saw a column for subtasks but its blank. Jira 5.2

We confused Issue Links with sub tasks. What are we doing wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2013

You probably have no sub-task types in the issue-type scheme (it's also possible to turn them off completely, but the default is to have them enabled).

Go to the project, admin, and look for the issue-type scheme. Add a sub-task type to it (remember that this can affect many projects though)

codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

Hi Nic, same time -same answer :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2013

Yup :-) Oops. Still, makes the point :-)

Iain Smith
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2014

I'm suffering from the same issue on my Agile project.

The issue type appears to be within my scheme, and I can create sub-tasks if I select this as the type when in the backlog view, but I'm not given the choice to add subtasks to existing Tasks or Stories.

Can anybody help?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2014

Probably the same answer by the sound of it. I suspect you have added an issue type called something like "sub task", but you have added it as a standard issue type and not an actual sub-task. Go to the project and find the "issue type scheme". Go into that and have a look at the list of types. Do ANY of them have "(sub task)" written next to them (in quite small writing)?

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

Did you assign the issue type "sub-task" to your project? If not this could be the reason why it is not available in your menu.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events