How to clone an Issue, including its subtasks?

Joseph Cohen April 13, 2021

I need to "reset" the status of an Issue from DONE to TO DO.

The same thing for all the subtasks that are related to it

3 answers

1 vote
chris.sengenberger March 20, 2023

"Clone sub-tasks" does not appear in the clone menu anymore.

1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Hi @Joseph Cohen 

When you clone an issue (by going to 3 dots menu on top right) you have further options to Clone sub-tasks, Clone links and Clone sprint value. When clone the issue and the sub-tasks statuses are reset to-do.

Ravi

wei zhang February 2, 2022

Hi,

I want to clone issue with its subtasks, but I do not see any further options to Clone sub-tasks, Clone links and Clone sprint value, as you guys mentioned above when I click "CLONE" option. 

Capture.PNG

What is the reason for that? Is it because of that "modify reporter" permission?

thanks.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2022

Hello @wei zhang  - The cloning dialog is specific to the issue you are on - so if there are no sub-tasks or no value in the sprint field (in that ticket) it won't ask you if you want to clone those with the ticket. 

wei zhang February 3, 2022

Thanks, @Chris Buzon

Now I see.

What I want to do is that I need to duplicate /copy an epic (with all the stories and sub-tasks underneath this epic). I searched other posts. It seems we need another addon/app to have this feature.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2022

Ah, yeah - that's something you need to do in another way.  I use Deep Clone to copy large amounts of work (epics->stories/tasks->subtasks) from time to time.  If you're doing it for just a few tickets, then this is overkill - if you have to do a lot of this, it might be worthwhile. 

It's possible to create automation rules to do this as well, but the exact use case is important.

(https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218652/deep-clone-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud)

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2021

If you're looking to do this for one specific set of tasks/subtasks, you can do with so with a bulk action, or just using the CLONE option.

If you're looking to do this regularly, I would suggest writing an automation script to do it instead -- but that's a bit more complicated and might require explanation.

If you look in the "..." menu for any particular issue, you'll see "CLONE" as an option, which also will give you the option of cloning the subtasks:

chrome_2021-04-13_10-43-55.png

chrome_2021-04-13_10-41-55.png

Suggest an answer