How to avoid closing a from a condition

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2021

Dear all,

We have actually a special case that we need to find potential solution to adress it.
The scenario is as below :

1. An incident is created from Service Desk and handle by N1 support
  2. If N1 can not solve it, they escaladate the incident to N2 support
  3. The escalation process create an Incident in a DEV project with a link to the origin Service Desk incident

At this stage the resolution on the ticket is the hand of the DEV team which have their own WF process.

When the DEV team resolved the incident, the parent Service Desk incident is automatically set to Completed. This work fine using an automaton rule

Problem we try to solve :

If during the time the incident is in process at N2 level, it is possible for N1 (Service Desk) support to close the incident. Due to that special case, it can happen that support N2 team do not get information that parent incident has been close by N1 .

What is the best way to address this problem ?

1 - Is there a way to block the close transition on Service Desk WF when incident is in process at N2 level and only N2 is authorize to close the ticket ?

if this is possible, we should still be able to close the parent incident from the WF using an automation rule

Thanks for advise

regards

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi @serge calderara ,

It doesn't feel right to block the close transition - it seems to me your N1 can get information by the reporter, that they can close it (or can by closed by reporter) in JSM. Then the appropriate action should happen in the JSW project.

I would create bidirectional automation rule, which will close the linked issue, if the trigger issue is closed.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2021

hello @Hana Kučerová ,

Question1 : what do you mean by:

"it seems to me your N1 can get information by the reporter, that they can close it (or can by closed by reporter)"

Question 2 :
What do you mean by bidirectionnal rule ? you mean having also a rule from Service Desk which will close linked incident from DEV project in case it is closed by N1?

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Question 1:

I just wanted to say, that it seems to me there could still be situations, where you need to close the issue in JSM project (for example based on the information from reporter). so blocking this action doesn't seem right.

Question 2:

Yes, I would create the second rule and close the linked issue in JSW. Sometimes, it is possible to merge both rules into one (if the close status is the same).

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2021

You can also add some comment with the rule, so that you DEV team get the information, that issue has been closed automatically based on the linked issue closure or something like this.

Suggest an answer