How to allign the fields horizontally in JIRA ?

How to allign the fields horizontally in JIRA ?

We can move the fields up and down using the field configuration.

6 answers

Fields are usually aligned vertically for a better GUI, Tabs can be helpful , I am curious to know why you need to allign fields horizontally.

Its actually one of the UI requirement we have, to make it in sync with the existing issue tracking tool. Is it really possible to do it ?

0 votes

Not without hacking the core code that draws the screen (which isn't that hard to be fair)

You've got the major problem that fields are different widths, so you need to either fix them in place (which leaves holes if you've got project-related field configs) or come up with a complex set of rules on placing them so that they fit.

Or you can move things around with CSS and javascript. There have been plenty of questions about this previously. There is nothing that you could consider easy though.

Ohh, I dunno.

Moving a handful of fixed width fields around on-screen so that it meets requirements = easy (ish - assuming you know your way around html/css/javascript etc).

Making it work if you've got more than one Jira screen to amend, or you've got multiple field configurations, or you've got more than one browser client, or you've got people who dare to resize their browser. Then it gets horrid, quickly.

Yeah... I'm wondering if I missed out a "not" somewhere! I was trying to say it's quite difficult to do it properly.

Not to my mind, I read "not" in there with a decent explanation, and was trying to emphasise the "properly" part of it.

Then your requirements are probably broken. Looking like the previous issue tracker should not be a "must-have".

When you have a long list of choices (30 to 40 checkboxes or radio buttons), going across makes more sense than going down. I have done it with just css changes in the 4.x releases. I have not tried in the 5.x releases when we now have javascript popup windows to worry about as well.

Are you trying to do all types of fields or just multiple choice type of fields?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,380 views 15 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you