How to add a reason to reopen issues and show the reason with the reopen history

Marina Kerrison
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 21, 2016

I would like to have a set of values (that we have defined)  that can be selected when reopening an issue in JIRA.  i.e. Reopen Reason.  I may wish to add more than one value.  I would then be able to search on reopens and the reason for further evaluation.  Seeing the reopen value on the reopen history would also be required.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

Yep, good use-case.  To do this, as an admin:

• Go to custom fields in the admin interface and add a new one.
  • Choose a "multiple select" and name it "Reopen reason".  Do not add it to any screens yet, but put your list of possible values in as the options
  • Go to screens and create a new one called "Reopen" or something like that.  Add your new field to it.
  • Now the boring part - go over each workflow and change any transition that "reopens" an issue, associating the "reopen screen" with the transitions
  • You might want to consider using a "validator" to ensure something is selected in the field when a user re-opens an issue

Suggest an answer