How is data stored in JIRA? Which database do they use?

Prathyusha Gali November 13, 2017

I want to know how Jira stores the data.

2 answers

5 votes
Anton Chemlev - Toolstrek -
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Will this be applicable to the Atlassian cloud on-demand instance too? If that is the case, can I connect to my Jira cloud on-demand instance using connect spring-boot framework?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

Generally, yes, it's the same database structure.

But.  Forget it.  You don't want to touch the database.

1) SQL is the worst possible way to interact with JQL data.  It's messy, complex, slow and you cannot use it to write data at all.

2) You're on Cloud, so fortunately you don't have any choice as you have no access to the database at all.  You will have to use the REST interface.

yogibimbi August 3, 2021

About 1: oopsScreen Shot 2021-08-03 at 13.34.10.png

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

It's put into a database. 

Which database it goes into is "whatever the people running the system choose to put it in".

I suspect you need to spend some time reading the documentation, rather than asking us about the basics, it will be quicker and you'll learn more.

okay Thanks

yogibimbi August 3, 2021

Wow, way to go to answer a user question with "rtfm"! You could at least have mentioned where in the manual this info might be found.

That's more or less the same as saying, if someone with an abdominal gunshot wound asks for help "why don't you look for the 1st help kit? I am sure it has something in it that will help you. It must be around here somewhere..."

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer