How have you handled tasks with multiple due dates

We are just starting to use JIRA to track tasks for our software installations and there are some tasks that have multiple stages each with a due date. I wanted to see if anyone had similar items and would like to share how they handle the multiple due dates.

I've thought about creating multiple sub-tasks, but I'm concerned that we would end up with an abundance of JIRA issues to track and manage.

An example of the type of task were looking at is each project has training associated with it. That training is broken into the following steps each with a due date. Would you make each a sub-task to a parent task for training?

• Create training schedule
  • Prepare training materials
  • Setup classroom hardware
  • Start classes

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jan 12, 2015

I would create custom fields for the milestone events and use the issue due date as the overall completion due date. You could then search for issues with the milestones within a date range

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

209 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you