How do you update issues after a select list option is renamed programmatically?

Nathon Fowlie April 1, 2014

I have a script that gets fired on issueupdated/issuedeleted events and renames options configured in a single-select custom field.

The renaming part is working fine, however when I look at issues using the renamed option, on the "view" screen they are still showing the old value. If I go into "edit" mode the new option value is displayed (and is correctly selected as the current value for that issue).

Things I've tried:

• Perform a full re-index.
  • Restart the JIRA service.
  • Extending the script to get a list of afffected issues and explicitly updating the field value.
  • Extending the script to get a list of affected issues and reindex them one by one.

Is there an extra step that needs to be performed to let issues know that the option has been renamed so they display the correct value? Here's a snippet of the code I'm using (including my attempts to get the issue to recognise the new value):

CustomField customField = this.customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObject(CUSTOMFIELD_ID);

FieldConfig fieldConfig = customField.getConfigurationSchemes().listIterator().next().getOneAndOnlyConfig();

Options fieldOptions = this.optionsManager.getOptions(fieldConfig);

Option existingOption = fieldOptions.getOptionForValue(originalValue, null);

if (existingOption) {
    existingOption.setValue(newValue);

// later that evening...

List<Issue> issues = searchResults.getIssues();

if (issues) {
        fieldOptions = this.optionsManager.getOptions(fieldConfig);

existingOption = fieldOptions.getOptionForValue(newValue, null);

IssueChangeHolder changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder();

for (Issue existingIssue : issues) {
            // Update the new issues with the renamed option
            customField.updateValue(null, existingIssue, new ModifiedValue(customField.getValue(existingIssue), existingOption), changeHolder);

this.issueManager.updateIssue(this.currentUser.getDirectoryUser(), existingIssue, EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED, false);

// Explicitly reindex the issues
ComponentAccessor.getIssueIndexManager().reIndex(existingIssue);
        }
    }
}

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

It's not ideal but I found a work-around. Instead of renaming an existing option, I just create a new one, point any issues using the old option to the new option, reindex them then delete the old option. It works but feels like a bit of a dirty hack...

0 votes

If it helps at all I'm using JIRA 6.2.1 and Script Runner 2.1.17 (doesn't officially support 6.2.x but I haven't had any show-stopper compatibility problems so far)

Suggest an answer