How do I start a new project?

Emily Breder June 3, 2015

We just opened our company account in JIRA Cloud. Our first project is created. I tried to make another project but it keeps defaulting to the first one after I click off the name field. I need to make several new projects but can't get past this issue.

2 answers

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2015

Hi Emily,

Are you following the steps below?

1. Access JIRA
  2. Click on Projects, on the top menu
  3. Click on Create Project
  4. Select the type of the project
  5. Click on Next, then click on Select
  6. Enter the project Name and Key
  7. Click on Submit

Also, do you see any error message? If the issue persists you may create an issue on support.atlassian.com, so we can test the project creation on your instance.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira 

Emily Breder June 4, 2015

I don't appear to have the option to start a new project. The 'create' button only allows me to create a new issue within the project. I'm told I have administrator access by the product owner but perhaps there is an additional setting he needs to check to allow me to start new projects?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2015

Create project is under the projects menu. The create button is for issues only. To create new projects, you do need admin access - have a look at the admin cog in the top right corner - that may have three values - - it's not there - you have no admin rights at all - it just talks about projects - you are a project admin for one or more projects - a list with issues / addons / projects / etc on it - full admins have that, and that's what you need to create projects

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2015

What do you mane "keeps defaulting to the first one?".  You should be able to click "create project", select a template to create it from, answer some questions, and it'll land on the newly created project summary screen.

Where is it deviating from that route?  Or where is it going wrong in there?

(I've a sneaking feeling your browser might be trying to be clever and fill in fields you've filled before - could you try clearing the cache?  Or using a different browser for a quick test?)

Emily Breder June 4, 2015

Looks like I can only create issues. I am supposed to have administrator access but maybe I don't.

Suggest an answer