How do I schedule a JIRA issue for future work?

Let's say I want add a task in JIRA that will not require attention until some later date, e.g., the task begins a year from now, e.g., Sep 1 2013 and should conclude Oct 1 2013. So I do not want it to appear in my dashboard lists until Sep 1.

In other issue management systems (e.g., Wrike) each issue has a "start date." So it's simple to do what I want - just put in a start date of 9/1/2013. Up until 8/31/2013, I do not see the issue as active. On 9/1, the issue automatically starts appearing in my views.

But I cannot determine the similar functionality in JIRA.

I am not designing software or doing sprints, so I don't think Greenhopper is the solution, although I could be wrong.

And I guess I could make a custom filter so that items do not appear on my dashboard until their due dates are within e.g., 30 days, but that's a crude solution.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi,

we solved that the following way:

• a new Status "Postponed"
  • a custom date field "postponed until"
  • a custom user field "assign to"

The new Status is reachable from the "New" status, the transition requires both of the new field and sets the assignee to unassigned.

Every morning a jelly script searches for issues whichs posponed until date has been reached and uses a transition which puts the issue in the "New" status und assigns is to the "assign to" user.

This widget could not be displayed.

Greenhopper sprints have start and end dates. With Greenhopper 6 or greater you can now have multiple sprints, so you can assign future issues to a different sprint.

You can also do something with workflows as well, by having a state for holding issues not being worked on.

WIthout understanding your needs it is hard to give a more concise answer.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

106 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you