How do I receive notifications from all issues within the epic?

Anton_Ermolaev February 12, 2020

Hi, community

Scenario:
There's an epic, an epic has an assignee (epic owner). Different tasks are added to the epic and the epic owner needs to be notified about changes of all tasks within the epic (for example, as a watcher). 

Useful apps in our instance: script runner, automation lite.

How can this be implemented?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 13, 2020

Hello Anton,

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that you would like to send a notification to the Epic assignee every time its child issues get updated. Is that correct?

You can achieve that by using the Automation for JIRA app and configuring the following Automation rule:

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 15.46.46.png

With that smart-value added to the e-mail receiver,  a notification will be sent to the assignee of the related Epic every time a child issue is updated.

You can check the documentation below to know more about Smart values in Automation for Jira app:

Smart values 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Anton_Ermolaev February 25, 2020

Hi Peter, you got the problem right. Your solution is a good idea, but it's gonna require one more paid app...

Like David Eisenmenger likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2020

Hello Anton,

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed, Automation Lite is a little bit limited in Jira Server.

I tried to build a script using Scriptrunner plugin, however, I think your exact goal can not be achievable using Scriptrunner. At least, I was not able to reference the Epic assignee in the notification sender.

I suggest you contact their support team to get any insights using the link below:

Scriptrunner Support 

Suggest an answer