How do I link epic dates to the linked stories and tasks in Jira?

Benjamin Fraser
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2018

Is it possible for an epic date to update automatically if you update an associated story or task?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

Hi Benjamin

This is not easily achieved using the standard functionality but you can use 3rd party plugins to automate this action for you. 

But you should be careful to consider if this is something that you always want to happen or would you only want it to happen under certain circumstances.  In more detail are there times when it would not be appropriate to update the epic? Would it be better to write a report that identifies the stories that are set to complete later than the linked Epic?

Phill

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

Hello @Benjamin Fraser

What do you mean by "epic date" is it a custom field in your Jira Instance?

Yes, by means of custom listener( or you can use Script Runner plugin to create an listener) you can update an epic field if the child story or task is updated.

Benjamin Fraser
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 5, 2018

by Epic Date I mean the 'Due Date' field in an epic.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2018

Yes, you can easily achieve your requirement using paid plugins like Script Runner. Out of the box it's not possible to implement it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events