How do I connect internal Jira users with LDAP accounts during the upgrade to 4.3 or higher?

Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2011

I have an existing set of Jira users that match users in our active dirirectory. Currently, we use ldap for password verification only.

I am upgrading to 4.3.x where and want to use new ldap users and groups capability, so I don't need to create users manually.

Are the old internal user accounts automatically matched/linked with the AD accounts when I link Jira to AD? Do I need to do anything except set up the link?

1 answer

2 votes
Dana Scoggins _CCC_ June 1, 2011

Internal user accounts that are currently using LDAP for password checks will be linked to the AD accounts during the upgrade as long as a few criteria are met:

1. the osuser.xml file from the old instance *must* be in place (moved to the new WEB-INF/classes directory) during the upgrade

2. the usernames within Jira and AD must match - case and all.

I would suggest reading the upgrade guide thoroughly since user management has changed so much:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.3+Upgrade+Guide#JIRA4.3UpgradeGuide-ForcustomersusingLDAPforauthentication

By the way, which version of Jira are you upgrading from? Also, I would definitely perform a development upgrade before going straight to prod.

Edit: I do not believe internal accounts are linked with ldap accounts automatically. They will need to be created in LDAP for authentication to work just as your existing ldap users.

Suggest an answer