How do I add more workflow transition buttons to my issue view?

LuziaL
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2011

We have noticed that if there are 3 workflow transitions available for a issue the first 2 transitions are available as buttons at the top of the issue and the third transition is available under the 'Workflow' Drop Down menu.

We would prefer to have 3 workflow transitions as buttons at the top of an issue. If there are more than 3 transitions, the first 3 can be shown as buttons and the rest of the transitions can be shown in the Workflow dropdown menu.

4 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2011

Modify the ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions property in jira-application.properties and change the value to 3.

Topher dailing October 1, 2012

This no longer works in Jira 5.1.4

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2012

You need to use jira-config properties as Brad suggested.

yes, i had to create a jira-config.properties file under the main c:\program files\atlassian\JIRA\ directory, but it is there now. i rebooted the server, and there are still only two workflow transition buttons.

contents of the file is just 1 line:

ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions = 3

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2012

Topher, you need to put that file in the home directory not the installation directory

Ahh ic. It's working now. I just glossed through and never knew difference between home and install directory. Thanks for pointing that out.
Rudie December 28, 2012

Is this also possible via the web interface? I'm using OnDemand, so I can't change any files. I only have the db for config. I can't find it in the docs.

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2012

Nope, you can't change in onDemand.

Deleted user November 13, 2018

is this can be implemented in a single project?

7 votes
Brad Baker [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2011

Be aware that in JIRA 4.4, we will be retiring jira-application.properties and replacing it with a jira-config.properties in your JIRA home directory PLUS we are moving more option editing to inside the web application itself.

Pre JIRA 4.4 you edit jira-application.properties

Post JIRA 4.4 you edit either jira-config.properties in your home directory or online inside the administration section.

The reason we have moved to a jira-config properties file in your jira home directory is so that you can more easily upgrade in the future. The changes you have made are out fo the "code" directories and into the more manageable jira home area.

Note : I know this doesnt answer the question but it will in the future.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2011

That would be awesome!

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2011

It would be awesome if it worked, but it doesn't in JIRA 4.4.3: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-26284

Grrrr. Atlassian, please don't change these things without testing!!

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2012

Well, I just installed Jira 4.4.4. There is no jira-config.properties file in my jira-home, and there is no information about how to change this (e.g. functionality) under Administration (ref.: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-ChangingtheNumberofTransitionButtons).

Another example of regular Atlassian miss between product roadmap > implementation and documentation (communication).

3 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2011

Also, something you might run into is wanting to re-order the transitions. This can be done by applying {{opsbar-sequence}} properties to the transitions in the workflow designer.

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow#ConfiguringWorkflow-Changingtheorderoftransitionbuttonsand%27Workflow%27menuitems

1 vote
FernandoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2011

In JIRA Studio, unfortunately is not possible to do it as it would be made in a standalone version - By editing jira-application.properties uncommentting the property ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions and changing its value.

In Studio it's not possible to modify any underlying file. As can be seen in this known issue - https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JST-844 - after any upgrade made in Studio the values set on jira-application.properties will be undone.

Suggest an answer