How can we Automate the Re-Index for JIRA ? Edited

i am using window server 2003. i need to automate reindex with script. Can you please let me know which script is suitable for my system configuration. Please find the attachment of my system configuration. 

System.PNG

Thanks & Regards,
Chennudu

Thanks & Regards,

Chennudu

2 answers

1 vote

"I want to automate re-index" usually means "I've got a broken Jira and I'm trying to plaster over the cracks instead of fix the problem".

Could you start by explaining why you think you want to automate an indexing?

its taking more time to indexing manually So, to reduce human effort i thought of automate re index . i am checking whether it is possible to automate or not with using script. 

No, sorry, that's not what I asked.

Why do you think you need to re-index?

(Although a scripted re-index is not going to be any faster than a human doing it)

However, any changes done to the plugins or configuration changes (Fileds,Screes, Issue Types) require then need to perform a re-index on the JIRA Instance.

For Reindex we ask downtime and perform manual reindex on Business Off Hours. But my manager asks me to do automate using script. 

If we Perform a background index will decrease the performance of the system... 

If you perform ANY index, it thrashes the system, so that's completely the wrong reason for doing it.

If you "automate" this, you will be doing indexing totally pointlessly on days when admins have not changed anything significant, which means even worse overall performance.

I'd strongly recommend sticking with manual re-indexing when you actually need to do it, not just because you can't be bothered to think about timing.

There are scripts around that will log in over REST and do it, which you can stick in a cron job, but I don't know where they are because it's generally a silly thing to have to do.

1. First issue is running on an ancient OS. Update windows to *something* more recent like Windows 2012R2. Windows 2003 was EOL'd over 2 years ago. 

2. Are you talking the reindex that's avilable under the system tab? Or are you talking about rebuilding SQL indexes in the database?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,296 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot