How can i manage the test case numbering in JIRA?

Vindya Weerasinghe January 10, 2019

I'm new to JIRA.

Once i uploaded a set of test cases which had 15 TCs to JIRA and I deleted the whole set as a bulk due to some reason.  Then again I uploaded the same set and the numbering started from 16. How can I set up the numbering from 1?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2019

In Jira, issue Id is unique and generated by Jira server automatically. Once the issue is removed, the issue Id will be deleted as well and user cannot make back. If any new issue is created later, the id will not start from the begin (e.g. 1, 2 ...), instead, it will continue the number from where it is deleted. 

So in your case, user is not able to set up the numbering from 1. 

If you really want to do so, create a completely new project and start from there.

Thank you for the answer. 

So is this the same behavior with the test cases as well? My concern is about the test cases.

Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2019

From your description, the 'test case' is also treated as a Jira issue. So, yes, it is the same behavior with test cases.

0 votes
Cheney Ma [Go2Group]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2019

Actually if you are using some Jira app (e.g. synapseRT) to structure your test cases as a tree view. Numbering of test cases will NOT be so important, as the order/position of test case in the tree will show the logic structure. Hope it helps.

Yes, that's how I'm managing the test cases.  Thanks for the answer. :)

Suggest an answer